re: [midatlanticretro] FW:

    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2013
      Someone might have a virus.

      -------- Original Message --------
      > From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
      > Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:11 AM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [midatlanticretro] FW:
      >
      > http://chopper.sakura.ne.jp/7ur7ta.---

    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2013
        Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
        the time...

        Wesley

          Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
          the time...

          I'd go with that, except an identical message (from Evan) also popped up on cctalk.

          - Dave
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2013
            Crap ... sorry everyone, I don't know how the message below happened. :(

            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2013
              Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

                - Dave

                On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

              • madodel
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                  On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

                  What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                  account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                  the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                  the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                  this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                  attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                  once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                  explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                  complicated.

                  Mark

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
                  Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

                  http://www.os2voice.org

                  democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
                  of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
                  Investigation, 1938
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2013
                    On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

                    > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
                    >>

                    > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                    > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                    > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                    > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                    > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                    > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                    > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                    > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                    > complicated.

                    Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

                    The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
                    waited over a year to spam people in it...

                    > Mark

                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                    http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments