FW:

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 5:13 AM
        Someone might have a virus.

        -------- Original Message --------
        > From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
        > Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:11 AM
        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [midatlanticretro] FW:
        >
        > http://chopper.sakura.ne.jp/7ur7ta.---

      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 5:31 AM
          Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
          the time...

          Wesley

            Or email address is being spoofed...I think that's the problem about half
            the time...

            I'd go with that, except an identical message (from Evan) also popped up on cctalk.

            - Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8 6:29 AM
              Crap ... sorry everyone, I don't know how the message below happened. :(

              Message 6 of 9 , May 8 6:31 AM
                Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 8 6:39 AM
                  Could be browser click hijacking. I've had links I visited "like" things on Facebook that I didn't exactly authorize. That's a little harder to do with email, though, unless there's a huge cross-site-scripting hole in your webmail client.

                  - Dave

                  On May 8, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

                • madodel
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8 9:09 AM
                    On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.

                    What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                    account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                    the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                    the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                    this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                    attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                    once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                    explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                    complicated.

                    Mark

                    From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                    Warpstock 2013 - http://www.warpstock.org
                    Warpstock Europe 2013 -http://www.warpstock.eu

                    http://www.os2voice.org

                    democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
                    of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private
                    Investigation, 1938
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 8 9:40 AM
                      On Wed, 8 May 2013, madodel wrote:

                      > On 5/8/13 9:31 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >> Virus? Doubtful; my daily computing devices are Ubuntu and BlackBerry.
                      >>

                      > What I have seen before is they hack a gmail, yahoo or similar web mail
                      > account, steal someone's address book and then send out SPAM messages to
                      > the entire address book using as the From address one of the entries, not
                      > the original victims. They don't even have to breach a local machine to do
                      > this so can't even blame windoze users for it. I'm seeing this type of
                      > attack more and more lately. There isn't much of anything that can be done
                      > once it happens, unless you can hunt down and kill the SPAMmers. But it
                      > explains why Apple is now forcing me to make all my mac.com passwords more
                      > complicated.

                      Similar happened to one of my gmail accounts.

                      The spammers seem to have gotten an ancient address book though and they
                      waited over a year to spam people in it...

                      > Mark

                      Cory Smelosky
                      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                      http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments