Re: [midatlanticretro] Our museum needs a working iPod

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2013
      On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

      > > player?
      > >
      > > We have those; it's just easier to use the modern device.
      >
      > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier, since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to mess with some little screen.
      >
      > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?

      A CD player isn't a BAD option, but you could probably get a lot
      more mileage out of an iPod where you can organize your software
      by "albums" and "artists", which have convenient corollaries to
      categories and authors. Plus, I mean, 6 GB of compressed audio
      (even lossless compression) is going to beat 720 MB of
      uncompressed, 16-bit stereo audio (because you don't have a
      choice with CDs).

      Of course, the amount of software out there for the Apple I is
      probably not THAT big. For the Apple II, though, I'd see it as
      a clear benefit.

      Either way, I definitely agree you should also see if you can
      find a reasonable cassette player from the '70s or '80s (bonus
      if you use a reel-to-reel) and hook it up through a mixer or a
      switch (have an "aux port" out front so people can bring their
      own software?).

      - Dave
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2013
        Just to add a bit to this thread...

        I have found that it's nice to have the tape player there and if you want to demo loading (and failing a few times) you use the tape player, but when you are actually setting up your demo of a machine, I use an iPod/iphone.

        BTW: This iPod would also be for the Sol-20 the museum owns. I plan on taking a look at our Sol-20 on my Wednesday hosting days to see if I can get one running. Couldn't show up this week due to a personal commitment.

        Anyway, having the iPod/iPhone avoids many issues, but then you can always demo to someone how bad it was back in the day. Which tends to be the fact that someone moved the volume or tone dial from the "sweetspot" that works

        Cheers,
        Corey