Re: [midatlanticretro] Our museum needs a working iPod

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2013
      Evan,

      I am unfortunately not coming on the 18th, as I will be in Dayton.  I decided to go to the Hamfest when VCF was cancelled.

      I might be able to give the iPod to David Gesswein, though.

      - Alex

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      >> I have an iPod Touch that I'd be happy to donate

      That would be great. Thank you.

      >> if that's what you want.

      Any version except the Shuffle will do.

      Are you coming on May 18/19 and could you bring it with you?

    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2013
        On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

        > > player?
        > >
        > > We have those; it's just easier to use the modern device.
        >
        > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier, since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to mess with some little screen.
        >
        > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?

        A CD player isn't a BAD option, but you could probably get a lot
        more mileage out of an iPod where you can organize your software
        by "albums" and "artists", which have convenient corollaries to
        categories and authors. Plus, I mean, 6 GB of compressed audio
        (even lossless compression) is going to beat 720 MB of
        uncompressed, 16-bit stereo audio (because you don't have a
        choice with CDs).

        Of course, the amount of software out there for the Apple I is
        probably not THAT big. For the Apple II, though, I'd see it as
        a clear benefit.

        Either way, I definitely agree you should also see if you can
        find a reasonable cassette player from the '70s or '80s (bonus
        if you use a reel-to-reel) and hook it up through a mixer or a
        switch (have an "aux port" out front so people can bring their
        own software?).

        - Dave
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 2013
          Just to add a bit to this thread...

          I have found that it's nice to have the tape player there and if you want to demo loading (and failing a few times) you use the tape player, but when you are actually setting up your demo of a machine, I use an iPod/iphone.

          BTW: This iPod would also be for the Sol-20 the museum owns. I plan on taking a look at our Sol-20 on my Wednesday hosting days to see if I can get one running. Couldn't show up this week due to a personal commitment.

          Anyway, having the iPod/iPhone avoids many issues, but then you can always demo to someone how bad it was back in the day. Which tends to be the fact that someone moved the volume or tone dial from the "sweetspot" that works

          Cheers,
          Corey