Re: [midatlanticretro] Our museum needs a working iPod

    Message 1 of 16 , May 6 4:03 PM
      >> How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier, since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to mess with some little screen.

      Virtual buttons and little screens don't bother me. Remember, I got into this hobby by collecting 70s and 80s handhelds. :)

      Maybe I'll give the tape player another shot. It works, I just don't have a lot of experience using it for programs. Went right from 2600 cartridges to 5.25 floppies as a young'n. Then again, I wore out plenty of music tapes...
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6 6:05 PM
        On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
        > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier,
        > since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have
        > to mess with some little screen.
        >
        > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?
        >
        > -Ian

        An iPod would give you the benefit of a "file system" with random
        access. Cassettes are serial access. That's why I had a zillion C-10
        cassettes for those machines that had cassette storage. (VIP, CoCo,
        ZX-81, MC-10, VIC-20, C-64)

        73 de Ray
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6 6:49 PM
          On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
          > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier,
          > since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to
          > mess with some little screen.
          >
          > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?
          >
          > -Ian

          An iPod would give you the benefit of a "file system" with random access.
          Cassettes are serial access. That's why I had a zillion C-10 cassettes for
          those machines that had cassette storage. (VIP, CoCo, ZX-81, MC-10, VIC-20,
          C-64)

          73 de Ray

          I am not thinking it would be easier, but it would be more "vintage" to use
          a cassette player. Part of the demo should be how one loaded programs.
          Part of the education is to show how a person operated an Apple I. Once the
          program is loaded the system can run for hours. All considered though it's
          not that much worse than loading via modern device.

          It does not hurt to have both modern and vintage storage available, right?
          In a pinch use the modern, doing a demo use the vintage.

          Message 4 of 16 , May 6 7:03 PM
            >> In a pinch use the modern, doing a demo use the vintage.

            I agree.
          • J. Alexander Jacocks
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7 11:01 AM
              Evan,

              I am unfortunately not coming on the 18th, as I will be in Dayton.  I decided to go to the Hamfest when VCF was cancelled.

              I might be able to give the iPod to David Gesswein, though.

              - Alex

              On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              >> I have an iPod Touch that I'd be happy to donate

              That would be great. Thank you.

              >> if that's what you want.

              Any version except the Shuffle will do.

              Are you coming on May 18/19 and could you bring it with you?

            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 16 , May 7 11:12 AM
                On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

                > > player?
                > >
                > > We have those; it's just easier to use the modern device.
                >
                > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier, since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to mess with some little screen.
                >
                > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?

                A CD player isn't a BAD option, but you could probably get a lot
                more mileage out of an iPod where you can organize your software
                by "albums" and "artists", which have convenient corollaries to
                categories and authors. Plus, I mean, 6 GB of compressed audio
                (even lossless compression) is going to beat 720 MB of
                uncompressed, 16-bit stereo audio (because you don't have a
                choice with CDs).

                Of course, the amount of software out there for the Apple I is
                probably not THAT big. For the Apple II, though, I'd see it as
                a clear benefit.

                Either way, I definitely agree you should also see if you can
                find a reasonable cassette player from the '70s or '80s (bonus
                if you use a reel-to-reel) and hook it up through a mixer or a
                switch (have an "aux port" out front so people can bring their
                own software?).

                - Dave
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 16 , May 8 12:16 PM
                  Just to add a bit to this thread...

                  I have found that it's nice to have the tape player there and if you want to demo loading (and failing a few times) you use the tape player, but when you are actually setting up your demo of a machine, I use an iPod/iphone.

                  BTW: This iPod would also be for the Sol-20 the museum owns. I plan on taking a look at our Sol-20 on my Wednesday hosting days to see if I can get one running. Couldn't show up this week due to a personal commitment.

                  Anyway, having the iPod/iPhone avoids many issues, but then you can always demo to someone how bad it was back in the day. Which tends to be the fact that someone moved the volume or tone dial from the "sweetspot" that works

                  Cheers,
                  Corey