Re: I got the peroxide...May event

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      for this person, it has been pretty much a temporary fix.

      http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2013-01-15-retr0bright-only-temporary.htm

      regards,
      Mike W.

      > --- On Mon, 5/6/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Also, how does it taste?  :)
      > >

      > Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so Evan can have a nice big glass :)
      >

      > I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have. From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store peroxide.
      >
      > I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super Nintendo consoles.
      >
      > Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often wondered if the effect really is permanent.
      >
      > -Ian

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2013
        My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.

        For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.

        Herb Johnson
      • nicodemus_nj
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2013
          That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

          To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

          > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
          >
          > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
          >
          > Herb Johnson

        • DougCrawford
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2013
            I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
            I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
            I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
            plastic to retain the restored color.
            Maybe make it UV resistant?
            I'm no chemist.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2013
              This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
              retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
              photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
              times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

              The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
              harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
              sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
              of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
              retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

              Bill

              > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
              > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
              > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
              > plastic to retain the restored color.
              > Maybe make it UV resistant?
              > I'm no chemist.
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
              wrote:

              > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
              that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

              > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
              UV light.

              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
              wrote:

              > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
              "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
              over that time. This is good to know.

              > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
              why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
              is my guess.

              > > > Herb Johnson

            • DougCrawford
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
                can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
                Good tip about things that look good on ebay.