Re: [midatlanticretro] I got the peroxide...May event

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      the general consensus is that you use this stuff like carwax, just before a
      show. Does not permanently fix problems with yellowing, but will
      temporarily improve greatly. Within a year you loose most of the benefits,
      so it's best to use only when you want to display/exhibit.
      bd

      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        for this person, it has been pretty much a temporary fix.

        http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2013-01-15-retr0bright-only-temporary.htm

        regards,
        Mike W.

        > --- On Mon, 5/6/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Also, how does it taste?  :)
        > >

        > Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so Evan can have a nice big glass :)
        >

        > I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have. From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store peroxide.
        >
        > I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super Nintendo consoles.
        >
        > Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often wondered if the effect really is permanent.
        >
        > -Ian

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2013
          My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.

          For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.

          Herb Johnson
        • nicodemus_nj
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2013
            That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

            To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

            > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
            >
            > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
            >
            > Herb Johnson

          • DougCrawford
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2013
              I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
              I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
              I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
              plastic to retain the restored color.
              Maybe make it UV resistant?
              I'm no chemist.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
                retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
                photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
                times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

                The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
                harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
                sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
                of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
                retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

                Bill

                > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
                > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
                > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
                > plastic to retain the restored color.
                > Maybe make it UV resistant?
                > I'm no chemist.
                >
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
                wrote:

                > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
                that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

                > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
                UV light.

                > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
                wrote:

                > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
                "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
                over that time. This is good to know.

                > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
                why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
                is my guess.

                > > > Herb Johnson

              • DougCrawford
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                  OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
                  can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
                  Good tip about things that look good on ebay.