Re: [midatlanticretro] I got the peroxide...May event

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013

      > >> So I need to retrobrite a few small things. Figure I might as well
      mix up a batch while I'm at the MARCH working session get together this
      month.

      > I've never tried it. Happy to pick a sacrificial (fill in name of
      something common / non-valuable) from our collection to see how it works.

      > Also, how does it taste? :)

      Freshens breath while cleaning your Apple II.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        the general consensus is that you use this stuff like carwax, just before a
        show. Does not permanently fix problems with yellowing, but will
        temporarily improve greatly. Within a year you loose most of the benefits,
        so it's best to use only when you want to display/exhibit.
        bd

        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2013
          for this person, it has been pretty much a temporary fix.

          http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2013-01-15-retr0bright-only-temporary.htm

          regards,
          Mike W.

          > --- On Mon, 5/6/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Also, how does it taste?  :)
          > >

          > Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so Evan can have a nice big glass :)
          >

          > I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have. From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store peroxide.
          >
          > I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super Nintendo consoles.
          >
          > Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often wondered if the effect really is permanent.
          >
          > -Ian

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2013
            My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.

            For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.

            Herb Johnson
          • nicodemus_nj
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2013
              That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

              To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

              > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
              >
              > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
              >
              > Herb Johnson

            • DougCrawford
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
                I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
                I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
                plastic to retain the restored color.
                Maybe make it UV resistant?
                I'm no chemist.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                  This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
                  retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
                  photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
                  times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

                  The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
                  harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
                  sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
                  of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
                  retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

                  Bill

                  > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
                  > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
                  > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
                  > plastic to retain the restored color.
                  > Maybe make it UV resistant?
                  > I'm no chemist.
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
                  that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

                  > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
                  UV light.

                  > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
                  "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
                  over that time. This is good to know.

                  > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
                  why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
                  is my guess.

                  > > > Herb Johnson

                • DougCrawford
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                    OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
                    can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
                    Good tip about things that look good on ebay.