Re: [midatlanticretro] I got the peroxide...May event

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2013
      Oops -- I sent a blank reply.

      >> So I need to retrobrite a few small things. Figure I might as well mix up a batch while I'm at the MARCH working session get together this month.

      I've never tried it. Happy to pick a sacrificial (fill in name of something common / non-valuable) from our collection to see how it works.

      Also, how does it taste? :)
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        --- On Mon, 5/6/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        > Also, how does it taste?  :)

        Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so Evan can have a nice big glass :)

        I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have. From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store peroxide.

        I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super Nintendo consoles.

        Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often wondered if the effect really is permanent.

        -Ian
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2013

          > >> So I need to retrobrite a few small things. Figure I might as well
          mix up a batch while I'm at the MARCH working session get together this
          month.

          > I've never tried it. Happy to pick a sacrificial (fill in name of
          something common / non-valuable) from our collection to see how it works.

          > Also, how does it taste? :)

          Freshens breath while cleaning your Apple II.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2013
            the general consensus is that you use this stuff like carwax, just before a
            show. Does not permanently fix problems with yellowing, but will
            temporarily improve greatly. Within a year you loose most of the benefits,
            so it's best to use only when you want to display/exhibit.
            bd

            > Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so
            Evan can have a nice big glass :)

            > I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have.
            From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade
            too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store
            peroxide.

            > I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I
            know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've
            always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super
            Nintendo consoles.

            > Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often
            wondered if the effect really is permanent.

            > -Ian

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2013
              for this person, it has been pretty much a temporary fix.

              http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2013-01-15-retr0bright-only-temporary.htm

              regards,
              Mike W.

              > --- On Mon, 5/6/13, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Also, how does it taste?  :)
              > >

              > Oh, it tastes great - you'll love it. Corey, be sure to mix up extra so Evan can have a nice big glass :)
              >

              > I've never tried this trick myself, but I know some friends that have. From what I heard though, using too strong a peroxide can make things fade too much, and unevenly, and that you can just use normal drug store peroxide.
              >
              > I'm sure MARCH has plenty of horribly yellowed things to try it on. I know I do. If I remember, I'll try to bring some things to test on. I've always wondered what it would do to one of those horribly yellowed Super Nintendo consoles.
              >
              > Has anyone had any experience with the stuff re-yellowing? I have often wondered if the effect really is permanent.
              >
              > -Ian

            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2013
                My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.

                For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.

                Herb Johnson
              • nicodemus_nj
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                  That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant, that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

                  To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive UV light.

                  > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert over that time. This is good to know.
                  >
                  > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics), is my guess.
                  >
                  > Herb Johnson

                • DougCrawford
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                    I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
                    I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
                    I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
                    plastic to retain the restored color.
                    Maybe make it UV resistant?
                    I'm no chemist.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                      This subject is covered amply on vintage-computer.com/vcforum/ ... search
                      retrobrite (or however it's spelled). I am talking many many threads,
                      photos, experiments etc. I have a corresponded with the creator a few
                      times. Tez has a nice web page that demos the results of use.

                      The bottom line .. Good but temporary results. May over a long period be
                      harmful. Best to use just before you show item at a vcf, or if you are
                      sleezy ...use before photographing to sell on ebay. Within two years 75%
                      of the yellowing returns. Caution ebay buyers..you might be buying a
                      retro-brited Apple II! Looks too good to be true?

                      Bill

                      > I have a brother in law who is a chemist.
                      > I someone can send me a good link on the subject,
                      > I can see if he can offer a mechanism to stabilize the
                      > plastic to retain the restored color.
                      > Maybe make it UV resistant?
                      > I'm no chemist.
                      >
                      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > That's right, I read that it is the bromine used as a fire-retardant,
                      that reacts (oxidizes?) under UV light exposure to cause yellowing.

                      > > To reduce the discoloration coming back, keep the item out of excessive
                      UV light.

                      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@>
                      wrote:

                      > > > My thanks to Bill Degnan and Mike Willeagle for posting that
                      "retrobrite" de-yellowing only lasts months or a few years and items revert
                      over that time. This is good to know.

                      > > > For those interested in details, A smart chemist could likely tell us
                      why that's so. It's likely related to brominated hydrocarbons (plastics),
                      is my guess.

                      > > > Herb Johnson

                    • DougCrawford
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 13, 2013
                        OK, I'll derive some info from there and see if I
                        can get some chemistry analysis for color retention.
                        Good tip about things that look good on ebay.