Re: [midatlanticretro] [OT] 64 bits is enough

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 4:31 PM
      On 5/5/2013 7:00 PM, Ray Sills wrote:

      Hi Gang:

      Most of us are fans of 8-bit machines, as I am. However, in looking
      in Wikipedia, I ran across this item as it relates to Unix Time:

      "At 15:30:08 UTC on Sun, 4 December 292,277,026,596 64-bit versions
      of the Unix time stamp will cease to work, as it will overflow the
      largest value that can be held in a signed 64-bit number. For these
      systems, the next second will once again be incorrectly indicated as
      Thursday, 1 January 1970 at 00:00:00. This is, however, considerably
      longer than the time it would take the Sun to theoretically expand to
      a red giant and swallow the earth."

      Yeah... the year is expressed in 12 decimal digits. Since the solar
      expansion is expected to take place about 288 billion years before
      Unix runs out of bits, that makes the roll-over a very moot point.

      I hope all of those Unix systems will be considered vintage by then, 'cause if they are not, I will be mighty upset!

      Cheers,

      Bryan

    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5 10:55 PM