RE: [midatlanticretro] Unibus or Q-Bus Systems?

  • Vince Fleming
    Message 1 of 42 , May 3, 2013

      Worth 1000 words...

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Vince Fleming [vincef@...]
      Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 4:00 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Unibus or Q-Bus Systems?

      Curiously enough... I think my memory is good after all...

      http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-16262.html

      This guy talks about a 3B1-looking computer or terminal with a silicone touch screen and telephone integrated into it that he apparently acquired.

      I remember it looked exactly like the 3B1, but had a phone on it and a squishy touch screen, which is why we selected it for the 911 prototype app - it had a display, keyboard, phone, and touch screen all-in-one - everything we wanted for the app.   We were prototyping apps for the SCP (Signal Control Point) that was brandy-new from my Lab at Bellcore.  (which was a cluster of VAX 8800's, by the way)

      The idea was if someone dials 911, the phone switch (we used a northern telecom) would route their call to the phone/terminal, and simultaneously reverse look-up their address from the originating phone number in a database on the SCP and display it on the screen.  With a touch, the operator of the device could dispatch fire, police, etc to the scene, forwarding the address and what the emergency was (call notes) to the fire or police dept if they had a similar device.

      We were pretty far ahead of our time.  Too bad it never took off.  :)

      Message 42 of 42 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 08:05 PM, Vince Fleming wrote:
        > They were really popular with managers at Bell Labs and other areas of
        > AT&T - I remember my manager at AT&T International had one around 1997,
        > too. Many managers had them.

        I don't blame them! Great stuff.

        > It would be typical that AT&T would design something and they be the only
        > ones that ever bought them. :)

        That's actually a reasonable business model for a company the size of AT&T. ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ