Big rescue opportunity...

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11 6:44 PM
      A guy in the NJARC works for a computer consulting company in Eatontown
      (right next to Wall Township, where InfoAge is)... He's got a whole
      motherload of Interdata minicomputers, peripherals, and random other stuff,
      and he says lots of it still works. I'm meeting him tomorrow at 3:00 at his
      office to check it out. He said much of it came from the NJ and NY lottery
      commissions and other places. He's also got documentation for much of it
      and contacts with the company founders. Interdata has a long history,
      explained at http://www.ccur.com/corp_companyhistory.asp?h=1 ... They claim
      to be the first company other than DEC to run UNIX on 32-bit minicomputers.
      They also did lots of work with Bell Labs, which makes sense -- it's good
      for our museum to have things from a very local company.
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12 4:42 AM
        Wow!  I used to do a lot of work on Perkin-Elmer machines in the mid 80s until I finally
        convinced management to replace them with HP systems.  Our company moved a lot
        of their systems to run our network monitoring software (yeah, companies dedicated
        minicomputers to monitoring network traffic).  And yes, they were all 32 bit machines
        with a common operating system.

        Their OS was called OS/32; I joked with my friends at Microsoft as to why they didn't
        have OS/2 ready, yet I was using a "much better" OS/32 at work.

        PE machines were big number crunchers, and the OS stank for multi-user applications.
        I forget what the multi-user hack was called, but the base OS only supported a single
        user, and you'd load this horrible hack to allow multiple sessions.  FORTRAN was the
        programming language, but they eventually added a bugger C compiler.  We ran a
        Z80 cross assembler for our development (Dave... what was the assembler?  It was
        the same one you guys were using at HDS at the time).

        When I visited the VLA (Very Large Array) in New Mexico the first time and got the
        tour, their data processing center was filled with big PE machines.  I got talking to one
        of the guys there who said PE was the only viable way to crunch all the data coming
        in from all the dishes in a timely manner.  Ugh... it was awful for code development, but
        ran heavy math stuff really well.

        At one point, I ran our big MPU system... Multiple Processing Units.  We had 10 big
        cabinets.  One contained all the 300mb hard drives and tape deck (9 track).  One had
        the main CPU and I/O control unit.  The other 8 big chassis held one additional CPU
        each.  Very big, very impressive.

        PE was based in NJ, so we got excellent support from them.  Every now and then I look
        for old PE stuff on eBay, but I guess it's either all stored in old storage areas with
        cobwebs or long-tossed into landfills.  This is an interesting find, and deserves some
        attention because those machines were very common in the 70s/80s but are very hard
        to find now.

        Bob

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12 6:18 AM
            Bob;
            Where in N.J. was PR (ne Interdata) located. Weren't they near the company that originallly made big analog computers and came out with a big digital in about 1966?
            Both companies tried to hire me very early in their history, and I seem to remember them being closely linked.  I was just finishing a big job for PE (on their SDS computers) when they started talking about a deal with Interdata, in 1968-'69.
            Ray

            Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

            Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
          • BOYD BORRILL

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 12 6:55 AM
                His name is Norm Sandbach.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 12 8:57 AM
                  Excellent!  Bob, we'll put you in charge of this exhibit for our museum.

                  Aren't you glad you spoke up?   :)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 12 12:00 PM
                    I can't remember the name of the town, but it was somewhere in northern NJ along
                    the coast.  They seemed to have some connections with Belcore in Holmdel, so
                    probably in that general area, but definitely not Holmdel.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 12 1:10 PM
                      Interdata was located in Eatontown, NJ (exit 105 Garden State Parkway) near Fort Monmouth...

                      They were located in downtown in a building later owned by the TV/Radio repair and parts place Atkinson and Smith (a great place with a great collection of tools and parts -- all the Xcellite stuff)...

                      The building is now a dance studio IIRC.  Up until last year or so you could still see the Interdata logo under the white paint.

                      Interdata became Perkin Elmer's computer division and it's mfg moved to Route 36 next to Monmouth Park racetrack.

                      Bill

                      Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • William Pechter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 12 1:11 PM
                        Tell him hello...

                        We worked together for a while...

                        Bill

                        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                        His name is Norm Sandbach.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 12 1:20 PM
                          Nope, that's EAI Electronics Associates Incorporared.

                          They did analog computers across the street from Concurrent.
                          I used to repair their Vax and PDP11/45 when I was at DEC.

                          They later moved from the PDP11 to control the analog stuff in their later hybrids to Concurrent/PE stuff and also some big number crunching stuff from
                          Gould's SEL fokls.

                          I later worked for Concurrent on their stuff (their Unix was interesting).
                          The Masscomp RTU line was brought in in 1987 with a merger with Masscomp.
                          Masscomp was full of old DEC RSX guys who put the real-time EMT's into Unix.

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 12 1:24 PM
                            By any chance, did you know a field guy named Claude Earl?  He was our rep from
                            PE, and spent several days a week in-house working with us on all sorts of things.

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 12 8:01 PM
                              Yup, he immediately knew your name.  He says hello back.