Re: [midatlanticretro] Unibus or Q-Bus Systems?

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 42 , May 3, 2013
      On May 3, 2013, at 12:54 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      > On 05/03/2013 12:41 PM, tedheadster wrote:
      > > yeah I remember basically how to do that with a tape. But how to do it
      > > to a MSCP disk? It would be akin to Unix's 'dd" command. Now THAT'S what
      > > I really need under VMS.....
      >
      > Try to "mount/foreign" the destination disk, and then just "copy" your
      > image to it. I've not tried it, at least not in recent memory, but I
      > believe it will work.

      If VMS treats devices like RSX-11M does (which isn't unlikely, given that
      it's roughly descended from it), you should be able to just copy files
      onto devices and vice versa. The only thing that might break with tapes
      is if you needed a specific (and possibly varying) record size, but
      presumably you could accomplish that with a series of copies (much like
      a series of dd invocations on Unix).

      If you have an image file, though, mounting a Unix volume on VMS or vice
      versa is not so easy. You could probably use FTP or RCP to transfer from
      a modern machine, though, and I know at least the version of the TCP/IP
      service that comes with the OpenVMS 7.3 hobbyist distribution (5.1) has
      an NFS client.

      - Dave
      Message 42 of 42 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 08:05 PM, Vince Fleming wrote:
        > They were really popular with managers at Bell Labs and other areas of
        > AT&T - I remember my manager at AT&T International had one around 1997,
        > too. Many managers had them.

        I don't blame them! Great stuff.

        > It would be typical that AT&T would design something and they be the only
        > ones that ever bought them. :)

        That's actually a reasonable business model for a company the size of AT&T. ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ