Re: [midatlanticretro] Craigslist listing for SUN fans

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2013
      On Fri, 3 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

      >>> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
      >>> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
      >>> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
      >>> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.

      Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

      >> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
      >> configurations and conditions...
      >> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
      >>
      >> Nope
      >
      > Not even close.

      I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

      > -Dave
      >
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
      http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 01:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

        > Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

        In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
        world, not so much.

        >>> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
        >>> configurations and conditions...
        >>> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
        >>>
        >>> Nope
        >>
        >> Not even close.
        >
        > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

        It will, in another twenty years.

        But it will never, ever have "class".

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2013

          >> Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?
          >
          > In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
          > world, not so much.

          Understandable. You have about ten of everything. ;)

          >>> Not even close.
          >>
          >> I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...
          >
          > It will, in another twenty years.

          I will skip collecting them. I don't collect x86 stuff post-PII

          > But it will never, ever have "class".

          Thankfully. I've heard of murderers with more class than a pentium 4
          system. ;)

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2013

            > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

            Drum roll please....