Re: [midatlanticretro] Craigslist listing for SUN fans

    Message 1 of 10 , May 3 10:24 AM
      On 05/03/2013 01:19 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> Not even close.
      >
      > Dave M. is right. OP meant well but didn't know our rule.

      Oh I didn't intend to complain about Doug's post...I personally found
      nothing wrong with it; if I were looking for any Ultra1s I would've very
      much appreciated it. I was simply pointing out that the craigslist
      poster's assessment of the rarity and vintageness of that hardware is
      way, way off.

      No offense to Doug intended at all.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3 10:24 AM
        On Fri, 3 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        >>> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
        >>> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
        >>> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
        >>> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.

        Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

        >> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
        >> configurations and conditions...
        >> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
        >>
        >> Nope
        >
        > Not even close.

        I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
        http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3 10:26 AM
          On 05/03/2013 01:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

          > Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

          In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
          world, not so much.

          >>> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
          >>> configurations and conditions...
          >>> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
          >>>
          >>> Nope
          >>
          >> Not even close.
          >
          > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

          It will, in another twenty years.

          But it will never, ever have "class".

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3 10:31 AM

            >> Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?
            >
            > In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
            > world, not so much.

            Understandable. You have about ten of everything. ;)

            >>> Not even close.
            >>
            >> I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...
            >
            > It will, in another twenty years.

            I will skip collecting them. I don't collect x86 stuff post-PII

            > But it will never, ever have "class".

            Thankfully. I've heard of murderers with more class than a pentium 4
            system. ;)

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3 11:23 AM

              > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

              Drum roll please....