Re: [midatlanticretro] Craigslist listing for SUN fans

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2013
      On 03/05/2013 17:36, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > On 05/03/2013 09:23 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
      >> http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3707608205.html
      > It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
      > "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
      > pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
      > of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.
      >
      > -Dave

      I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
      configurations and conditions...
      .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?

      Nope

      Dave
      G4UGM
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 01:16 PM, Dave wrote:
        >>> http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3707608205.html
        >> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
        >> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
        >> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
        >> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.
        >>
        > I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
        > configurations and conditions...
        > .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
        >
        > Nope

        Not even close.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2013
          >> Not even close.

          Dave M. is right. OP meant well but didn't know our rule.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2013
            On 05/03/2013 01:19 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> Not even close.
            >
            > Dave M. is right. OP meant well but didn't know our rule.

            Oh I didn't intend to complain about Doug's post...I personally found
            nothing wrong with it; if I were looking for any Ultra1s I would've very
            much appreciated it. I was simply pointing out that the craigslist
            poster's assessment of the rarity and vintageness of that hardware is
            way, way off.

            No offense to Doug intended at all.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2013
              On Fri, 3 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              >>> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
              >>> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
              >>> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
              >>> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.

              Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

              >> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
              >> configurations and conditions...
              >> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
              >>
              >> Nope
              >
              > Not even close.

              I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
              http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                On 05/03/2013 01:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                > Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

                In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
                world, not so much.

                >>> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
                >>> configurations and conditions...
                >>> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
                >>>
                >>> Nope
                >>
                >> Not even close.
                >
                > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

                It will, in another twenty years.

                But it will never, ever have "class".

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2013

                  >> Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?
                  >
                  > In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
                  > world, not so much.

                  Understandable. You have about ten of everything. ;)

                  >>> Not even close.
                  >>
                  >> I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...
                  >
                  > It will, in another twenty years.

                  I will skip collecting them. I don't collect x86 stuff post-PII

                  > But it will never, ever have "class".

                  Thankfully. I've heard of murderers with more class than a pentium 4
                  system. ;)

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2013

                    > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

                    Drum roll please....