Re: [midatlanticretro] Unibus or Q-Bus Systems?

    Message 1 of 42 , May 3, 2013
      On 05/03/2013 12:52 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      >>> AT&T 3B2's always ran AT&T SysVr3 UNIX. I recently donated one
      > running
      >>> an early version of SvsVr4.
      >>
      >> Mostly. AT&T pushed the WE32K CPUs for embedded applications for a
      >> short while in the 1980s. We had a dev board for it where I worked
      >> (Princeton)...a dev board that I really, really wish I had now.
      >>
      >> Anyway, they had some sort of a real-time executive that ran on it,
      >> that was prototyped on, and development for it occurred on, 3B2/310
      >> machines.
      >>
      >> Admittedly that's a rare case, but you said the magic word "always",
      >> which, in this business, virtually guarantees someone will speak up. ;)
      >
      > always? oops. I guess so.
      >
      > Are you coming to InfoAge for the open house Dave? A Dan/Dave Pittsburgh
      > caravan?

      I would love to, and am going to try. It would be great to see
      everyone and have some fun. It's pretty tough to get Dan out of the
      house these days, and our car is very tiny (as you know ;)) so a carpool
      is unlikely, but we might be able to goad him into making the drive.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 42 of 42 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 08:05 PM, Vince Fleming wrote:
        > They were really popular with managers at Bell Labs and other areas of
        > AT&T - I remember my manager at AT&T International had one around 1997,
        > too. Many managers had them.

        I don't blame them! Great stuff.

        > It would be typical that AT&T would design something and they be the only
        > ones that ever bought them. :)

        That's actually a reasonable business model for a company the size of AT&T. ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ