Re: [midatlanticretro] Unibus or Q-Bus Systems?

    Message 1 of 42 , May 3, 2013
      On 05/03/2013 10:11 AM, tedheadster wrote:
      > yeah, but you said it is running VMS which makes it a distant second
      > choice compared to Unix. Unsure how to write raw disk images with a VMS
      > command. I vaguely remember how to mount foreign tapes......

      Are you talking about writing an image file to a disk drive? I've not
      done that under VMS, but to write a tape image to a tape, here's what to
      do. A similar procedure MAY work for disks as well, but I've not tried
      it. This assumes your tape device is MUA0 of course.

      $ INIT/ERASE MUA0: ""
      $ MOUNT/FOREIGN/BLOCK=512 MUA0:
      $ COPY <filename> MUA0:
      $ DISMOUNT/UNLOAD MUA0:

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 42 of 42 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 08:05 PM, Vince Fleming wrote:
        > They were really popular with managers at Bell Labs and other areas of
        > AT&T - I remember my manager at AT&T International had one around 1997,
        > too. Many managers had them.

        I don't blame them! Great stuff.

        > It would be typical that AT&T would design something and they be the only
        > ones that ever bought them. :)

        That's actually a reasonable business model for a company the size of AT&T. ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ