Re: [midatlanticretro] 11/20+40 projects

  • tedheadster
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2013
      Evan,
        do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory, peripherals, etc? The 11/40 is a historically significant model. We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working peripherals such as a disk and console.

      - Matthew

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2013
        >> do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory, peripherals, etc?

        I don't know.

        >> The 11/40 is a historically significant model.

        True, but I'd rather get our /20 up first. It "powers on" as the eBay kids say, but Deg. said he didn't get the correct results when attempting to toggle the front panel. Bill, can you elaborate?

        >> We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working peripherals such as a disk and console.

        I doubt it's anywhere near ready for that.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2013
          > >> do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory,
          peripherals, etc?

          > I don't know.
          >
          > >> The 11/40 is a historically significant model.
          >
          > True, but I'd rather get our /20 up first. It "powers on" as the eBay
          kids say, but Deg. said he didn't get the correct results when attempting
          to toggle the front panel. Bill, can you elaborate?

          Not true - it was able to save memory and recall it. The issue is that
          front panel tricks that I can do on the 11/40 do not match the 11/20, need
          to write a new chase the lights program that will work on the 11/20. It
          seems like it's very close to operational. A thorough testing is needed.
          We did not want to push it, the system has not been fully tested
          electrically. We should not power on again without a more thorough
          checkout first, per the manual.

          > >> We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working
          peripherals such as a disk and console.

          > I doubt it's anywhere near ready for that.

          Maybe 5, why not. I have an extra manual (ATT version) if anyone wants
          one.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2013
            >> Not true - it was able to save memory and recall it.

            Oh -- good!!

            I will do the foam during the workshop.