11/20+40 projects

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2013
      >> I am seriously thinking of bringing my PDP 11/40 to finally fix the power supply, never got to it but I have the parts to repair it.

      That reminds me, I still have to replace the foam inside our 11/20 cage. Jeff J. got the material.

      Also at the workshop I might start cleaning our own 11/40. I don't think we have ever dug into it. (It came to us via InfoAge / Grabbe.)
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2013
        Evan,
          do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory, peripherals, etc? The 11/40 is a historically significant model. We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working peripherals such as a disk and console.

        - Matthew

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2013
          >> do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory, peripherals, etc?

          I don't know.

          >> The 11/40 is a historically significant model.

          True, but I'd rather get our /20 up first. It "powers on" as the eBay kids say, but Deg. said he didn't get the correct results when attempting to toggle the front panel. Bill, can you elaborate?

          >> We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working peripherals such as a disk and console.

          I doubt it's anywhere near ready for that.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2013
            > >> do you know what the attributes of the PDP-11/40 area? Memory,
            peripherals, etc?

            > I don't know.
            >
            > >> The 11/40 is a historically significant model.
            >
            > True, but I'd rather get our /20 up first. It "powers on" as the eBay
            kids say, but Deg. said he didn't get the correct results when attempting
            to toggle the front panel. Bill, can you elaborate?

            Not true - it was able to save memory and recall it. The issue is that
            front panel tricks that I can do on the 11/40 do not match the 11/20, need
            to write a new chase the lights program that will work on the 11/20. It
            seems like it's very close to operational. A thorough testing is needed.
            We did not want to push it, the system has not been fully tested
            electrically. We should not power on again without a more thorough
            checkout first, per the manual.

            > >> We can get Unix versions 5/6/7 going on it if we have working
            peripherals such as a disk and console.

            > I doubt it's anywhere near ready for that.

            Maybe 5, why not. I have an extra manual (ATT version) if anyone wants
            one.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2013
              >> Not true - it was able to save memory and recall it.

              Oh -- good!!

              I will do the foam during the workshop.