Craigslist listing for SUN fans

  • DougCrawford
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2013
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 09:23 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
        > http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3707608205.html

        It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
        "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
        pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
        of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2013
          On 03/05/2013 17:36, Dave McGuire wrote:
          > On 05/03/2013 09:23 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
          >> http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3707608205.html
          > It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
          > "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
          > pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
          > of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.
          >
          > -Dave

          I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
          configurations and conditions...
          .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?

          Nope

          Dave
          G4UGM
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2013
            On 05/03/2013 01:16 PM, Dave wrote:
            >>> http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3707608205.html
            >> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
            >> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
            >> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
            >> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.
            >>
            > I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
            > configurations and conditions...
            > .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
            >
            > Nope

            Not even close.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2013
              >> Not even close.

              Dave M. is right. OP meant well but didn't know our rule.
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                On 05/03/2013 01:19 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>> Not even close.
                >
                > Dave M. is right. OP meant well but didn't know our rule.

                Oh I didn't intend to complain about Doug's post...I personally found
                nothing wrong with it; if I were looking for any Ultra1s I would've very
                much appreciated it. I was simply pointing out that the craigslist
                poster's assessment of the rarity and vintageness of that hardware is
                way, way off.

                No offense to Doug intended at all.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                  On Fri, 3 May 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  >>> It's rather odd to see someone (anyone!) referring to Ultra1s as
                  >>> "rare" or "vintage". Granted *I* don't run them anymore, but they're
                  >>> pretty much everywhere from my perspective. There are metric buttloads
                  >>> of them running in production down the road at Pitt, for example.

                  Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

                  >> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
                  >> configurations and conditions...
                  >> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
                  >>
                  >> Nope
                  >
                  > Not even close.

                  I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

                  > -Dave
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  > New Kensington, PA

                  Cory Smelosky
                  http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                  http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2013
                    On 05/03/2013 01:24 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                    > Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?

                    In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
                    world, not so much.

                    >>> I can see around 10 for sale on E-Bay in a wide range of prices ,
                    >>> configurations and conditions...
                    >>> .. so possibly approaching "Vintage" but rare?
                    >>>
                    >>> Nope
                    >>
                    >> Not even close.
                    >
                    > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

                    It will, in another twenty years.

                    But it will never, ever have "class".

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2013

                      >> Are they as abundant as pentium 4 systems though?
                      >
                      > In my world, they are far more common. In the general pedestrian
                      > world, not so much.

                      Understandable. You have about ten of everything. ;)

                      >>> Not even close.
                      >>
                      >> I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...
                      >
                      > It will, in another twenty years.

                      I will skip collecting them. I don't collect x86 stuff post-PII

                      > But it will never, ever have "class".

                      Thankfully. I've heard of murderers with more class than a pentium 4
                      system. ;)

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2013

                        > I hope the pentium 4 never becomes vintage...

                        Drum roll please....