Re: [midatlanticretro] Identifying some things

    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2013
      On 05/02/2013 11:16 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      >> I didn't find much either. This posting indicated DEC used yellow for
      >> custom stuff.
      >
      > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.folklore.computers/kr9dUiemlvA
      >>
      >> Does the back of the handles say digital equipment?
      >
      > Yes, it does. Quite an interesting find, then. I may take some time to
      > capture the schematic. I'd love to know what it did.

      It's all 7400-series TTL, right? That shouldn't be too tough to do. I'd
      be very interested to know what it was for as well.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2013

        > I came across a Unibus card for a PDP-8/E, though I don't know its purpose.
        > My online searches have resulted in no (even close) matches. The handles on
        > the card say Y006, and the card itself says "G101 Display Bd. for PDP 8E"
        > on the solder side.

        Chase this reference down:

        S. Pardee, Rosenfeld, Dowd "G101 - a remote time share terminal with graphic output capabilities" IEEE transactions on computers, Vol C-20, no. 8, Aug 1971, page 878. You'll need an engineering university library or an IEEE membership.

        Herb
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2013
          > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Stephen L <steve@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Regarding the electromechanical beast, my (vague) theory would be that
          > > it is a multiple function generator.

          I concur with Stephen's observations. Kyle, if you send me detailed photos of ONE of the 20 modules or assemblies - ONE disk thingy and the mechanics that are in contact with it - then I can be more informative. The photos will be needed documentation anyway. Photos of the labels on pots and motor and any power-supply parts, may well date the assembly.

          The charming thing about this item, is that it's very likely you can "decode" the information content. To a first order, you'd rotate the shaft assembly and "read out" the potentiometers. Manual rotation and a digital ohmmeter could do that, in a tedious way. Then a spreadsheet of those values (and interpolation) could simulate actual operation.

          The next step would be to operate the motor, however that's driven; and to digitize the analog outputs. In fact....the pots could drive 555 timers and directly produce a frequency proportional to value! All of that would be a fun project, and be a nice display.

          HErb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com