Re: [midatlanticretro] Identifying some things

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 6:41 PM
      On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 05:58:25PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I came across a Unibus card for a PDP-8/E, though I don't know its purpose.
      > My online searches have resulted in no (even close) matches. The handles on
      > the card say Y006, and the card itself says "G101 Display Bd. for PDP 8E"
      > on the solder side. Judging from the empty sockets and two sets of three
      > pads with no components populated (yet with remnants of solder on the
      > pads), I'd say this card is missing some things. I have a feeling there
      > were two ten-turn pots on the board judging from the placement of those
      > pads. Any ideas? I'm not (yet) a DEC collector, but I hope to be soon.

      I didn't find much either. This posting indicated DEC used yellow for
      custom stuff.

      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.folklore.computers/kr9dUiemlvA

      Does the back of the handles say digital equipment?
    • Kyle Owen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 8:16 PM

        On May 2, 2013 8:42 PM, "David Gesswein" <djg@...> wrote:

        > I didn't find much either. This posting indicated DEC used yellow for
        > custom stuff.
        >
        > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.folklore.computers/kr9dUiemlvA
        >
        > Does the back of the handles say digital equipment?

        Yes, it does. Quite an interesting find, then. I may take some time to capture the schematic. I'd love to know what it did.

        Kyle

        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 8:52 PM
          On 05/02/2013 11:16 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
          >> I didn't find much either. This posting indicated DEC used yellow for
          >> custom stuff.
          >
          > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.folklore.computers/kr9dUiemlvA
          >>
          >> Does the back of the handles say digital equipment?
          >
          > Yes, it does. Quite an interesting find, then. I may take some time to
          > capture the schematic. I'd love to know what it did.

          It's all 7400-series TTL, right? That shouldn't be too tough to do. I'd
          be very interested to know what it was for as well.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7 11:47 AM

            > I came across a Unibus card for a PDP-8/E, though I don't know its purpose.
            > My online searches have resulted in no (even close) matches. The handles on
            > the card say Y006, and the card itself says "G101 Display Bd. for PDP 8E"
            > on the solder side.

            Chase this reference down:

            S. Pardee, Rosenfeld, Dowd "G101 - a remote time share terminal with graphic output capabilities" IEEE transactions on computers, Vol C-20, no. 8, Aug 1971, page 878. You'll need an engineering university library or an IEEE membership.

            Herb
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7 12:03 PM
              > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Stephen L <steve@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Regarding the electromechanical beast, my (vague) theory would be that
              > > it is a multiple function generator.

              I concur with Stephen's observations. Kyle, if you send me detailed photos of ONE of the 20 modules or assemblies - ONE disk thingy and the mechanics that are in contact with it - then I can be more informative. The photos will be needed documentation anyway. Photos of the labels on pots and motor and any power-supply parts, may well date the assembly.

              The charming thing about this item, is that it's very likely you can "decode" the information content. To a first order, you'd rotate the shaft assembly and "read out" the potentiometers. Manual rotation and a digital ohmmeter could do that, in a tedious way. Then a spreadsheet of those values (and interpolation) could simulate actual operation.

              The next step would be to operate the motor, however that's driven; and to digitize the analog outputs. In fact....the pots could drive 555 timers and directly produce a frequency proportional to value! All of that would be a fun project, and be a nice display.

              HErb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com