Re: [midatlanticretro] Samsung 12mhz 286 and Windows 286

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
      Bill,

      It is. I imagine that it would be much more useful with some expanded memory.
      Do you have any real Windows 286 applications?

      Jim

      --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > For the record, you can install and run Windows 286 (Windows 2.11) on a
      > 640K Samsung PC AT Clone running at 12mhz. Ain't that special.
      > Bill

    • billdeg
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
        I have the demo MS Excel that came with the Windows 286 software,
        and have installed/tested. The product literature talks about how
        this is a great new alternative to Lotus, etc. There is also an ad
        for Genie online service but I don't have the disk. Windows 286 is
        worthless without expanded memory.

        I have an expanded memory card that I could install, but I will keep
        the box as-is. TO get the computer working I had to take apart the
        diskette drive and clean the heads to restore functionality. For
        the record the hard drive is type 31. Aside from the disk drive
        issue, the computer itself is in pretty good shape. It's a model
        SD630.

        Bill D

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>