Re: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal -- show identified!

  • Bill Dromgoole
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
      The Motorola M56000 digital signal processor chip has legal instructions that
      are considered as "Insane".
      One is a parallel move instruction that writes the x register and the y register
      to the same location.
      The data book states that XDB and the YDB bus drivers may be damaged and
      permanent damage to the chip may result.

      See Motorola manual DSP56000UM/AD Rev 1 Appendix A.9.5 Insane instructions.
      On page A-260 of my copy.

      Later on Motorola said that it would not damage the chip but that the results of
      execution are indeterminate.
      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/comp.sys.next/5Bxs94tydJI/EdbFYWvNBz4J

      BillDrom

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
        On 04/24/2013 11:42 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
        >>> "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
        > computing
        >>> code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
        >>>
        >>> Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
        > my
        >>> mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
        >>> machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
        >>> sit corrected.
        >>
        >> As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
        >> maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
        >> copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
        > <snip>
        >
        > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
        > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

        ROFL!

        But yes. This is precisely why I've not had TV reception capability at
        home for something like fifteen years. ;) (who the hell has that much free
        time?!)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ