Re: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal -- show identified!

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
      > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

      Well, yeah. I was just excited when I saw the title of the show, since it's definitely a somewhat obscure term if you don't work with '80s micros much, so I figured someone was part of the "in" crowd on their creative team. I don't watch "real" TV at all, mostly because 95% of it is worthless, but we do watch a few shows through Netflix (I will gladly pay $8 a month to not watch commercials ever again).

      Most of the shows we do watch are AMC shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad), which turn out to actually be pretty good, so I'd give this one a fair chance of being OK. I'll probably have to wait a while to watch it, though, because they don't usually come out on Netflix or DVD/BluRay until about a year later.

      Still, something to look forward to. I mean, it's gotta be better than Big Bang Theory (which I did like at first, but which I find increasingly less interesting).

      - Dave
    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
        The Motorola M56000 digital signal processor chip has legal instructions that
        are considered as "Insane".
        One is a parallel move instruction that writes the x register and the y register
        to the same location.
        The data book states that XDB and the YDB bus drivers may be damaged and
        permanent damage to the chip may result.

        See Motorola manual DSP56000UM/AD Rev 1 Appendix A.9.5 Insane instructions.
        On page A-260 of my copy.

        Later on Motorola said that it would not damage the chip but that the results of
        execution are indeterminate.
        https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/comp.sys.next/5Bxs94tydJI/EdbFYWvNBz4J

        BillDrom

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
          On 04/24/2013 11:42 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
          >>> "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
          > computing
          >>> code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
          >>>
          >>> Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
          > my
          >>> mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
          >>> machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
          >>> sit corrected.
          >>
          >> As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
          >> maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
          >> copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
          > <snip>
          >
          > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
          > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

          ROFL!

          But yes. This is precisely why I've not had TV reception capability at
          home for something like fifteen years. ;) (who the hell has that much free
          time?!)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ