Re: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal -- show identified!

  • DuaneCraps
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
      The wikipedia  entry explains the reference .The writers must be geeks. I remembered from somewhere. I think it was an old BYTE article.

      Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:52 AM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal -- show identified!

      On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:15 AM, "Wesley Furr" <mailto:wesley%40megley.com> wrote:

      > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term
      for a computing
      > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's
      CPU."

      > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't
      bode well in my
      > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some
      point in history a
      > machine that could be physically damaged by code
      alone...in which case, I
      > sit corrected.

      As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
      maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
      copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though. An HCF opcode was
      one that, intentionally or otherwise, trapped a processor in a
      tight loop that was unrecoverable except by reset. If it was an
      intentional opcode, it was usually for e.g. factory testing (just
      incrementing the PC forever or something else with a diagnostic
      purpose). If it was unintentional, as was the case with a few
      early micros that used a PLA-based state machine instead of ROM
      microcode, it was just a not-very-programmed area of the PLA that
      had unexpected results.

      Either way, it generally never resulted in the destruction of
      anything unless there was some peripheral on the board (or off it)
      that reacted poorly to random data writes. That definitely did
      happen on occasion, but it was rare.

      Seeing the phrase, though, does make me optimistic, however they
      might have treated it in the promo copy.

      - Dave

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
        > > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
        computing
        > > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
        > >
        > > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
        my
        > > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
        > > machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
        > > sit corrected.
        >
        > As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
        > maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
        > copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
        <snip>

        Dave,
        I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
        No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.
      • David Riley
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
          On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
          > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

          Well, yeah. I was just excited when I saw the title of the show, since it's definitely a somewhat obscure term if you don't work with '80s micros much, so I figured someone was part of the "in" crowd on their creative team. I don't watch "real" TV at all, mostly because 95% of it is worthless, but we do watch a few shows through Netflix (I will gladly pay $8 a month to not watch commercials ever again).

          Most of the shows we do watch are AMC shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad), which turn out to actually be pretty good, so I'd give this one a fair chance of being OK. I'll probably have to wait a while to watch it, though, because they don't usually come out on Netflix or DVD/BluRay until about a year later.

          Still, something to look forward to. I mean, it's gotta be better than Big Bang Theory (which I did like at first, but which I find increasingly less interesting).

          - Dave
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
            The Motorola M56000 digital signal processor chip has legal instructions that
            are considered as "Insane".
            One is a parallel move instruction that writes the x register and the y register
            to the same location.
            The data book states that XDB and the YDB bus drivers may be damaged and
            permanent damage to the chip may result.

            See Motorola manual DSP56000UM/AD Rev 1 Appendix A.9.5 Insane instructions.
            On page A-260 of my copy.

            Later on Motorola said that it would not damage the chip but that the results of
            execution are indeterminate.
            https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/comp.sys.next/5Bxs94tydJI/EdbFYWvNBz4J

            BillDrom

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
              On 04/24/2013 11:42 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
              >>> "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
              > computing
              >>> code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
              >>>
              >>> Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
              > my
              >>> mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
              >>> machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
              >>> sit corrected.
              >>
              >> As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
              >> maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
              >> copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
              > <snip>
              >
              > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
              > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

              ROFL!

              But yes. This is precisely why I've not had TV reception capability at
              home for something like fifteen years. ;) (who the hell has that much free
              time?!)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ