Re: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal -- show identified!

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 23, 2013
      >> The new show is called "Halt and Catch Fire" about fictional early 1980s
      >> techies.
      >
      > With a name like that, I'm already interested.

      "The Americans" is renewed for a second season, so MARCH will have
      surplus equipment in two primetime shows simultaneously! That is awesome.
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
        "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a computing
        code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."

        Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in my
        mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
        machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case, I
        sit corrected.

        But...they still have my attention! Will be interesting to see how it
        goes...

        Wesley

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 10:35 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > The new show is called "Halt and Catch Fire" about fictional early
        > 1980s techies.

        With a name like that, I'm already interested.

        - Dave
      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
          On 04/24/2013 08:15 AM, Wesley Furr wrote:
          > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a computing
          > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
          >
          > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in my
          > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
          > machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case, I
          > sit corrected.
          >
          > But...they still have my attention! Will be interesting to see how it
          > goes...

          Kids! ;-) (if the above is sarcasm, my apologies).

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halt_and_Catch_Fire

          It's a native op code on the Moto 6800/6809. It simply exercises the address
          bus (as I recall).

          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
            As promised, I now sit corrected. :-) Thanks for the info, that certainly
            makes more sense. Just sounded too much like one of those virus hoaxes that
            makes the rounds every few years...you know, the one that says it will
            "burn" your hard drive, etc, etc. :-)

            Wesley

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
              > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] More info on the latest TV prop deal --
              show identified!

              > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
              computing
              > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
              >
              > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
              my
              > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
              > machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
              > sit corrected.
              >
              > But...they still have my attention! Will be interesting to see how it
              > goes...

              See: Killer Poke story, about the Commdore PET
              http://www.6502.org/users/andre/petindex/poke/

              bd
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> writes:

                >"As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a computing
                >code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
                >
                >Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in my
                >mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
                >machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case, I
                >sit corrected.

                Youngsters...

                http://www.nickh.org/silly/opcodes.txt

              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                  On 04/24/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                  > http://www.nickh.org/silly/opcodes.txt
                  >
                  > --
                  > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                  >
                  > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                  And remember, always mount a scratch monkey!

                  :-)

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                    From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Wesley Furr
                    > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
                    > my mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in
                    > history a machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...
                    > in which case, I sit corrected.
                    The TRS-80 model II had a built in HCF in its video system. If you set the sync way out of range it would actually burn things.

                    From an old comp.sys.tandy post:
                    Mark McDougall" <ma...@...> wrote in message

                    > Frank Durda IV wrote:
                    >
                    > > There were a few sound reasons
                    > > behind this, because it was completely possible to program a Model II
                    > > to burn up its video system (complete with smoke and sometimes
                    > > flames), and a few other expensive hardware pieces were also
                    > > vulnerable to being destroyed due to not knowing what you were doing or
                    > > if you only programmed half the settings in the alloted time or
                    > > similar issues.
                    >
                    > Wow, that's incredible, and one could argue, incredibly bad design.
                    > Having said that, it's entirely possible to destroy your VGA monitor in
                    > software too.
                    The problem with the video was the monitor driver board. If a sync was
                    way out of range, it could cause one of the drivers to just 'turn on solid',
                    which exceeded power disapation specs. The problem with this was
                    that not only did the part fail, it usually shorted such that it fed 12v
                    back
                    through the driver circuit. A lot of times it would get far enough to
                    get all the way back to the video/keyboard card.

                    Kelly
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                      Neil Cherry <ncherry@...> writes:

                      >On 04/24/2013 08:55 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                      >
                      >> http://www.nickh.org/silly/opcodes.txt
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                      >>
                      >> Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.
                      >
                      >And remember, always mount a scratch monkey!

                      ;)

                      For those that don't understand it:

                      http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/2007/05/07/always-mount-a-scratch-monkey-the-real-story/

                      FWIW, last month I was up in old DEC country for an HP Connect function.
                      I spoke with the DEC field engineer responsible for the "Scratch Monkey"
                      incident. Since his hame was elided from the text at the above URL, I'll
                      assume that he doesn't want to be known for this, so I'll not mention his
                      name here. Perhaps, after a few beers next "festivus", you could pry his
                      name from me. :)

                    • Neil Cherry
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                        On 04/24/2013 09:17 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                        > Neil Cherry <ncherry@... <mailto:ncherry%40linuxha.com>> writes:

                        > >And remember, always mount a scratch monkey!
                        >
                        > ;)
                        >
                        > For those that don't understand it:
                        >
                        > http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/2007/05/07/always-mount-a-scratch-monkey-the-real-story/
                        >
                        > FWIW, last month I was up in old DEC country for an HP Connect function.
                        > I spoke with the DEC field engineer responsible for the "Scratch Monkey"
                        > incident. Since his hame was elided from the text at the above URL, I'll
                        > assume that he doesn't want to be known for this, so I'll not mention his
                        > name here. Perhaps, after a few beers next "festivus", you could pry his
                        > name from me. :)

                        Let him be, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional and he had to feel pretty bad
                        at the time of the incident. I'm pretty sure he's caught enough hell even in the
                        pre-WWW.

                        Hmmm, let me archie that for you ... (doesn't quite have the same wring to it
                        does it? ;-) ).

                        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                      • Vince Fleming
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013

                          Anyone remember these old Unix jokes (that no longer work...)

                          http://www.jokes2go.com/lists/list27.html

                          My favs:

                          $  rm God

                          and

                          $  cat "food in cans"

                          ;)

                          On 04/24/2013 09:17 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          > Neil Cherry <ncherry@... <mailto:ncherry%40linuxha.com>> writes:

                          > >And remember, always mount a scratch monkey!
                          >
                          > ;)
                          >
                          > For those that don't understand it:
                          >
                          > http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/2007/05/07/always-mount-a-scratch-monkey-the-real-story/
                          >
                          > FWIW, last month I was up in old DEC country for an HP Connect function.
                          > I spoke with the DEC field engineer responsible for the "Scratch Monkey"
                          > incident. Since his hame was elided from the text at the above URL, I'll
                          > assume that he doesn't want to be known for this, so I'll not mention his
                          > name here. Perhaps, after a few beers next "festivus", you could pry his
                          > name from me. :)

                          Let him be, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional and he had to feel pretty bad
                          at the time of the incident. I'm pretty sure he's caught enough hell even in the
                          pre-WWW.

                          Hmmm, let me archie that for you ... (doesn't quite have the same wring to it
                          does it? ;-) ).

                          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

                        • David Riley
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                            On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:15 AM, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

                            > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a computing
                            > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
                            >
                            > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in my
                            > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
                            > machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case, I
                            > sit corrected.

                            As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
                            maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
                            copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though. An HCF opcode was
                            one that, intentionally or otherwise, trapped a processor in a
                            tight loop that was unrecoverable except by reset. If it was an
                            intentional opcode, it was usually for e.g. factory testing (just
                            incrementing the PC forever or something else with a diagnostic
                            purpose). If it was unintentional, as was the case with a few
                            early micros that used a PLA-based state machine instead of ROM
                            microcode, it was just a not-very-programmed area of the PLA that
                            had unexpected results.

                            Either way, it generally never resulted in the destruction of
                            anything unless there was some peripheral on the board (or off it)
                            that reacted poorly to random data writes. That definitely did
                            happen on occasion, but it was rare.

                            Seeing the phrase, though, does make me optimistic, however they
                            might have treated it in the promo copy.

                            - Dave
                          • DuaneCraps
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                              The wikipedia  entry explains the reference .The writers must be geeks. I remembered from somewhere. I think it was an old BYTE article.

                              Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:52 AM

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                                > > "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
                                computing
                                > > code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
                                > >
                                > > Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
                                my
                                > > mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
                                > > machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
                                > > sit corrected.
                                >
                                > As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
                                > maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
                                > copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
                                <snip>

                                Dave,
                                I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
                                No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.
                              • David Riley
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                                  On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                  > Dave,
                                  > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
                                  > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

                                  Well, yeah. I was just excited when I saw the title of the show, since it's definitely a somewhat obscure term if you don't work with '80s micros much, so I figured someone was part of the "in" crowd on their creative team. I don't watch "real" TV at all, mostly because 95% of it is worthless, but we do watch a few shows through Netflix (I will gladly pay $8 a month to not watch commercials ever again).

                                  Most of the shows we do watch are AMC shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad), which turn out to actually be pretty good, so I'd give this one a fair chance of being OK. I'll probably have to wait a while to watch it, though, because they don't usually come out on Netflix or DVD/BluRay until about a year later.

                                  Still, something to look forward to. I mean, it's gotta be better than Big Bang Theory (which I did like at first, but which I find increasingly less interesting).

                                  - Dave
                                • Bill Dromgoole
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                                    The Motorola M56000 digital signal processor chip has legal instructions that
                                    are considered as "Insane".
                                    One is a parallel move instruction that writes the x register and the y register
                                    to the same location.
                                    The data book states that XDB and the YDB bus drivers may be damaged and
                                    permanent damage to the chip may result.

                                    See Motorola manual DSP56000UM/AD Rev 1 Appendix A.9.5 Insane instructions.
                                    On page A-260 of my copy.

                                    Later on Motorola said that it would not damage the chip but that the results of
                                    execution are indeterminate.
                                    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/comp.sys.next/5Bxs94tydJI/EdbFYWvNBz4J

                                    BillDrom

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 24, 2013
                                      On 04/24/2013 11:42 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
                                      >>> "As a note, the series' unusual name is derived from a term for a
                                      > computing
                                      >>> code specifically designed to destroy a machine's CPU."
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Really? Never heard of such a thing! That alone doesn't bode well in
                                      > my
                                      >>> mind... Unless of course there actually was at some point in history a
                                      >>> machine that could be physically damaged by code alone...in which case,
                                      >>> sit corrected.
                                      >>
                                      >> As others have noted, that description is incorrect, which makes me
                                      >> maybe a little less enthused about the show. Good chance their
                                      >> copywriters aren't as up on the lingo, though.
                                      > <snip>
                                      >
                                      > I don't know if you've noticed, but sometimes TV shows are kind of dumb.
                                      > No, really. I never watch tv shows though, so what do I know.

                                      ROFL!

                                      But yes. This is precisely why I've not had TV reception capability at
                                      home for something like fifteen years. ;) (who the hell has that much free
                                      time?!)

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ