Re: [midatlanticretro] Unassembled Altair on eBay

  • Michael Lee
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
      FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
        Followup:  Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do not respond there.

        On 4/22/2013 8:37 AM, Michael Lee wrote:

        FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <mikelee@...> wrote:

          > Followup: Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but
          > proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do
          > not respond there.

          I do not like nor believe the 2nd chance offer is a fair option.
          It could be a way to milk your proximity bid to your maximum.

          An example.
          Item opens at $10
          Bidder 1 offers $20, Item at $10
          Bidder 2 offers $40, Item at $20.50 (next increment after Bidder 1)
          Bidder 3 offers $500, Item at $41

          Bidder 3 is a fake account used to defraud Bidder 2.
          Seller then offers 2nd chance to Bidder 2 for $40 (not the $20.50).

          Ebay has their share of scammers and undesirables, beware.

          :)J