Re: [midatlanticretro] Neat link -- AT&T Holmdel computer center, circa 1973

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
      On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

      > Very cool Evan! It's *very* interesting to see many of these computers
      > working. I have only seen these "older" computers in their non functional
      > state (i.e. stored in the MARCH warehouse). I loved seeing how they loaded
      > the disk packs.

      You ain't had fun until you've changed and aligned the heads in one of
      those drives. :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        >>> I loved seeing how they loaded the disk packs. ... This is the first
        >
        >time I have seen they actually working and being used.
        >
        >Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
        >year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
        >
        >But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)

        I thought he used more modern storage.
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      • Brian Roth
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
          I love this one. It has footage of the Burroughs B205 in operation. Might even be the one that was gutted for Lost in Space or Batman.

          http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/8/22/AT&T-Archives-Digital-Computer-Techniques

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
            On 04/22/2013 07:35 AM, B Degnan wrote:

            >> time I have seen they actually working and being used.
            >>
            >> Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
            >> year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
            >>
            >> But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)
            >>
            > I thought he used more modern storage.

            I ran a combination of modern and vintage storage. I had a Unibus SCSI
            host adapter connected to a SCSI drive, and three RL02 removable disk pack
            drives running.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ