Re: [midatlanticretro] Neat link -- AT&T Holmdel computer center, circa 1973

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
      From: Evan Koblentz
      Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:04 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Neat link -- AT&T Holmdel computer center, circa
      1973

      >http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/11/28/AT&T-Archives-Holmdel-Computer-Center-Part-1

      Very cool Evan! It's *very* interesting to see many of these computers
      working. I have only seen these "older" computers in their non functional
      state (i.e. stored in the MARCH warehouse). I loved seeing how they loaded
      the disk packs. I often seen these and other piece, such as punch cards etc.
      This is the first time I have seen they actually working and being used.

      Jeff B
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
        >> I loved seeing how they loaded the disk packs. ... This is the first
        time I have seen they actually working and being used.

        Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
        year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.

        But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
          On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

          > Very cool Evan! It's *very* interesting to see many of these computers
          > working. I have only seen these "older" computers in their non functional
          > state (i.e. stored in the MARCH warehouse). I loved seeing how they loaded
          > the disk packs.

          You ain't had fun until you've changed and aligned the heads in one of
          those drives. :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            >>> I loved seeing how they loaded the disk packs. ... This is the first
            >
            >time I have seen they actually working and being used.
            >
            >Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
            >year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
            >
            >But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)

            I thought he used more modern storage.
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • Brian Roth
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
              I love this one. It has footage of the Burroughs B205 in operation. Might even be the one that was gutted for Lost in Space or Batman.

              http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/8/22/AT&T-Archives-Digital-Computer-Techniques

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
                On 04/22/2013 07:35 AM, B Degnan wrote:

                >> time I have seen they actually working and being used.
                >>
                >> Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
                >> year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
                >>
                >> But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)
                >>
                > I thought he used more modern storage.

                I ran a combination of modern and vintage storage. I had a Unibus SCSI
                host adapter connected to a SCSI drive, and three RL02 removable disk pack
                drives running.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ