Commodore 1571 Help Needed

  • bpopilek
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21 8:16 PM
      Hello, I found this group while doing a search for 1571 repairs, and I'm hoping to maybe get some assistance. I have just gotten back into my old Commodore computer, and unfortunately after all these years, my original 1571 drive has not faired too well.

      Here is what happens. When I power on the drive, it passes it's self test and is ready for use. However, when I try to send a directory command, or any other command for that matter, it errors out and I am left with a 'File not found' message.

      I have opened the case and cleaned the heads and dust out of the drive, but that made no difference. I have also verified that all of the IC's are seated well. My next step was to remove the 1571 drive mechanism from my C128D and install it in the external drive. This worked perfectly, so I at least now know the problem most likely lies in the mechanism.

      I have watched the drive while trying to read a directory, and I see the heads move forward, back, and then forward again in about 1mm increments. It doesn't matter where the head is positioned, it does the same movements. But the heads never travel any further up or down the drive rails. Could this be an optical sensor issue? How would I go about testing out the electronics of the drive mechanism? Are there any good tutorials that list the correct values and how to test each component? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.
    • Dave Ross

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22 6:31 PM
          Thank you very much for the info! If I require further help, I may contact you to get their information. Thanks again!

          -Brian