Neat link -- AT&T Holmdel computer center, circa 1973

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20 7:04 PM
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21 9:56 PM
        From: Evan Koblentz
        Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:04 PM
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Neat link -- AT&T Holmdel computer center, circa
        1973

        >http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/11/28/AT&T-Archives-Holmdel-Computer-Center-Part-1

        Very cool Evan! It's *very* interesting to see many of these computers
        working. I have only seen these "older" computers in their non functional
        state (i.e. stored in the MARCH warehouse). I loved seeing how they loaded
        the disk packs. I often seen these and other piece, such as punch cards etc.
        This is the first time I have seen they actually working and being used.

        Jeff B
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21 10:46 PM
          >> I loved seeing how they loaded the disk packs. ... This is the first
          time I have seen they actually working and being used.

          Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
          year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.

          But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22 4:21 AM
            On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

            > Very cool Evan! It's *very* interesting to see many of these computers
            > working. I have only seen these "older" computers in their non functional
            > state (i.e. stored in the MARCH warehouse). I loved seeing how they loaded
            > the disk packs.

            You ain't had fun until you've changed and aligned the heads in one of
            those drives. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22 4:35 AM
              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              >>> I loved seeing how they loaded the disk packs. ... This is the first
              >
              >time I have seen they actually working and being used.
              >
              >Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
              >year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
              >
              >But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)

              I thought he used more modern storage.
              --
              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            • Brian Roth
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22 5:06 AM
                I love this one. It has footage of the Burroughs B205 in operation. Might even be the one that was gutted for Lost in Space or Batman.

                http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/8/22/AT&T-Archives-Digital-Computer-Techniques

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22 10:02 AM
                  On 04/22/2013 07:35 AM, B Degnan wrote:

                  >> time I have seen they actually working and being used.
                  >>
                  >> Not true -- remember Dave McGuire's PDP-11/70 exhibit at VCF East last
                  >> year? He was right across the row from your exhibit.
                  >>
                  >> But ... your comment gave me an idea!!! Stay tuned. :)
                  >>
                  > I thought he used more modern storage.

                  I ran a combination of modern and vintage storage. I had a Unibus SCSI
                  host adapter connected to a SCSI drive, and three RL02 removable disk pack
                  drives running.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ