Re: Museum report -- help us!!!

  • gsteemso
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
      On Sat, April 20, 2013 6:49 am, "Evan Koblentz" evan@... wrote:
      > MARCH currently has 54 shelving units in our warehouse, and they're all
      > full! (There are four more shelving units being used to display artifacts
      > in the museum exhibit rooms.)
      >
      > I estimate that we're 3/4 finished with The Great Organization Project.

      This is very impressive indeed! I sometimes have trouble keeping track of
      my own collection and it only fills two shelving units. Go MARCHins!

      > With more than 350 people on this list, it would be nice if more people
      > show up to help. :( Jeff B. and I have each literally hurt our backs and
      > needed to see doctors in the past year because of all the hard work we're
      > doing -- and yet we keep doing it because we are devoted.

      Your participation rates are not quite so dire as they appear. While I'd
      volunteer about once a month if I were able, it is a moot point because I
      live 3000 miles to the west of you. I've seen introductory posts from
      several other far-flung members in the year or two I've been on this list,
      so at a guess maybe 50 of those 350 aren't really an option to start with.
      Granted, that still leaves around 295 out of 300 who are… not so helpful
      as everyone might wish?

      A handful of you may remember my posts around May 2011 concerning the
      founding of the Seattle Retro-Computing Society. It's been a great
      success, but I think part of that is because the only commitment people
      need to put in is the travel time to get to the meetings. (We have
      attendees from up to 4 hours away at most meetings, and occasionally even
      further, such as a friend who recently flew up from San Diego on his day
      off.) I'm sure our participation rates would be far below yours if we had
      large amounts of work that needed doing, as MARCH does.

      I wish you all possible luck scaring up some more help,

      Gordon "gsteemso" Steemson

      --
      The world’s only gsteemso
      Seattle Retro-Computing Society agitator-in-chief
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 21, 2013
        Nice work & congrats on the successful lecture!
        Our workshop is coming up, lets start talking about how
        we can also help while we are there in force.
        Will we have accommodations in the cabins if we have an extended stay?

        > Me, Jeff J, and Don C. spent nearly all day working in the storage warehouse.
        >
        > We organized hardware from DEC, Sun, HP, and IBM, among other things. We also organized more boxes of books, and we have a good plan for what to do when the next batch of shelving arrives (should be any day now). We are ready to make a third unit for DEC items, a second unit for UNIVAC parts, an umpteenth for books, etc. ... we're going to keep doing this project as long as funds and time allow.
        >
        > MARCH currently has 54 shelving units in our warehouse, and they're all full! (There are four more shelving units being used to display artifacts in the museum exhibit rooms.)
        >
        > I estimate that we're 3/4 finished with The Great Organization Project.
        >
        > Remember, even if YOU can't help us by showing up and schlepping, you can STILL help us by donating funds. The shelving that we buy is about $100 per unit. So every $25, $50, or $100 makes a big difference.
        >
        > We also took a couple of hours today to help Fred and Steve with an InfoAge project.
        >
        > After leaving the museum around 6:30, Jeff and I headed to nearby Brookdale Community College, where I gave a lecture to their user group about the history of computing in New Jersey. I was allotted one hour; instead I talked for 90 minutes. :) Afterward the group's leader said it exceeded his expectations. On the way home, he sent me a thank-you email and wrote, "Your material and your timing were both excellent. I think you set a record. No one walked out and I didn't see anyone sleeping." (Jeff pointed out that one person of the 40-ish in attendance did leave early, but gave his apology for doing so.)
        >
        > After the talk, one person offered us a variety of additional IBM 1130 documentation, and several people asked for more information about our museum.
        >
        > I'll be back in the warehouse this Sunday, this time with Jeff B.; what time of day is to be determined.
        >
        > With more than 350 people on this list, it would be nice if more people show up to help. :( Jeff B. and I have each literally hurt our backs and needed to see doctors in the past year because of all the hard work we're doing -- and yet we keep doing it because we are devoted.

      • Vince Fleming
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
          Is this something that a Boy Scout Troop could help with?   My troop is often looking for Service Hours.  :)

          Vince

          Sent from my iPad - please excuse spelling errors

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
            >> Is this something that a Boy Scout Troop could help with?

            No, because the job requires a working knowledge of vintage computers. Also -- to be 100% frank and serious -- we're glad to give scouts museum tours and such, but MARCH under my leadership will not work with groups that discriminate.

            I hope my statement doesn't cause a flame war. I know that several MARCHins and their families are happily involved with BSA, and we/I enforce a no-politics rule on this list. I am breaking the rule this one time :) ... if anyone thinks we * should * work with groups that discriminate, or that we should accept help from anyone without considering what it might enable in the big picture, then feel free to "out" yourself (pun intended).
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
              Top post..
              There are InfoAge membership, MARCH insurance, and security issues
              unfortunately to allow scouts or general public to assist. We don't
              normally allow anyone access to the MARCH inventory building even MARCH
              list members. Only a few persons have been cleared.

              This is a subject that we'll discuss next time the MARCH BOD has a meeting
              to discuss the 18-19 weekend open house event.

              There are other ways scouts can help out, your offer is greatly
              appreciated.

              Best,

              Bill Degnan
              A VP MARCH

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                >> This is a subject that we'll discuss next time the MARCH BOD has a meeting

                Bill, I always appreciate your strong diplomacy skills. :)

                Everyone else, I stand by my previous post.
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                  Diplomacy ... Just a bit: Just as groups shouldn't judge their members based on what the members do in their personal lives, MARCH nor I would ever not welcome anyone who's friendly and into vintage computers based on how they do their parenting. It's none of our business. I hope any club members who might support BSA understand this. My original message applies to what transpires in official club business. We'd be rightfully and widely condemned if we worked with a group that openly bans Asians, blacks, Jews, etc, so there is no reason (other than phobia) for anyone to have a problem about not working with groups that ban atheists and gays.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                    > >> Is this something that a Boy Scout Troop could help with?
                    >
                    > No, because the job requires a working knowledge of vintage computers.
                    Also -- to be 100% frank and serious -- we're glad to give scouts museum
                    tours and such, but MARCH under my leadership will not work with groups
                    that discriminate.

                    > I hope my statement doesn't cause a flame war. I know that several
                    MARCHins and their families are happily involved with BSA, and we/I enforce
                    a no-politics rule on this list. I am breaking the rule this one time :)
                    ... if anyone thinks we * should * work with groups that discriminate, or
                    that we should accept help from anyone without considering what it might
                    enable in the big picture, then feel free to "out" yourself (pun
                    intended).

                    I have children in Scouts. No one is 100% happy ever with any group but to
                    say discriminate because they have religious principles IS a form of
                    discrimination and I will not back down from that view. Don't bring your
                    politics on this board and you don't speak for this board member. I want to
                    make that clear - MARCH is not political and even the president of MARCH
                    cannot make blanket statements on behalf of anyone but himself. I regret
                    this unsanctioned comment.

                    If this is "MARCH's view" then I will resign right here.

                    Bill Degnan
                    a V.P MARCH
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                      BSA is legally allowed to have their "principles" according to SCOTUS. I agree with that. It's their first amendment right.

                      But if a group's principles overtly * exclude * people who are welcomed by MARCH, then the groups should not partner. That alone is the basis for my response -- not my personal politics.

                      I know of several well-respected MARCHins who are gay, and several who are atheist. Why would we support any group that wouldn't allow our own members to join, regardless of the reason?
                    • Vince Fleming
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                        I really didn't intend to start a sh*tstorm with this...

                        I wasn't suggesting a "partnership" - just that MARCH might want some free labor to move stuff around.

                        I also find your intolerance rather hypocritical.   The BSA is not the KKK - we don't preach discrimination and it's never even come up in our troop.  We teach nothing but the positive to our boys - core values of trustworthiness, bravery, kindness, loyalty, etc. are what we're there for.  It's not a hate group.

                        I guess Catholics are also not welcome at MARCH?  They openly discriminate aginst Gays and Athiests also.

                        Regardless, I'll take your response as a polite "no, thanks".

                        On Apr 22, 2013, at 10:04 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                        BSA is legally allowed to have their "principles" according to SCOTUS. I agree with that. It's their first amendment right.

                        But if a group's principles overtly * exclude * people who are welcomed by MARCH, then the groups should not partner. That alone is the basis for my response -- not my personal politics.

                        I know of several well-respected MARCHins who are gay, and several who are atheist. Why would we support any group that wouldn't allow our own members to join, regardless of the reason?

                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013

                          > BSA is legally allowed to have their "principles" according to SCOTUS. I agree with that. It's their first amendment right.
                          >
                          > But if a group's principles overtly * exclude * people who are welcomed by MARCH, then the groups should not partner. That alone is the basis for my response -- not my personal politics.
                          >
                          > I know of several well-respected MARCHins who are gay, and several who are atheist. Why would we support any group that wouldn't allow our own members to join, regardless of the reason?

                          Why? Because think of the greater good. BSA is for the children, not the leaders. Those children don't have any gay or atheist role models and if they are allowed to see that in MARCH then please let them. I agree that BSA must not be allowed to censor or exclude any MARCHin's.

                          Be the bigger man here. Don't let your differences (with the management) deprive the children. It is very likely that a percentage of those boy scouts are gay even if they don't know it or understand it themselves yet. I think it would be a good thing for all the children to see normal people are not just heterosexual.

                          Now, with children, you must make the rules clear and up front. Never assume a kid knows how to be polite.

                          In the interest of protecting MARCH's right to open access for all, it should be made clear to the children that we accept all people and that we respect everyone by not making fun of them, etc.

                          I would go as far as writing this down and have all the kids sign a contract for the rules of conduct. If BSA will not enter such a contract, then you are not the bad guy here.

                          :)J

                          Let me help with some suggestions for such a contract:

                          1. Do not touch any computer unless they are labeled "touch me".
                          2. Do not make fun of CGA graphics (pixels have feelings too).
                          3. Do not make fun of anyone and show the same respect for all. This includes those that are gay, jewish, black, etc.
                          4. Do not call the TRS-80 a Trash-80.
                          5. Do not belittle the 360K floppy disk with your 256G flash drive.
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                            Vince Fleming <vincef@...> writes:

                            >I really didn't intend to start a sh*tstorm with this...
                            >
                            >I wasn't suggesting a "partnership" - just that MARCH might want some free =
                            >labor to move stuff around.
                            >
                            >I also find your intolerance rather hypocritical. The BSA is not the KKK =
                            >- we don't preach discrimination and it's never even come up in our troop. =
                            > We teach nothing but the positive to our boys - core values of trustworthi=
                            >ness, bravery, kindness, loyalty, etc. are what we're there for. It's not =
                            >a hate group.
                            >
                            >I guess Catholics are also not welcome at MARCH? They openly discriminate =
                            >aginst Gays and Athiests also.

                            How about a nice Operating System religion war? :)

                          • Bryan Pope

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                >> 1. Do not touch any computer unless they are labeled "touch me". 2. Do not make fun of CGA graphics (pixels have feelings too). 3. Do not make fun of anyone and show the same respect for all. This includes those that are gay, jewish, black, etc. 4. Do not call the TRS-80 a Trash-80. 5. Do not belittle the 360K floppy disk with your 256G flash drive.

                                LOL
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                  >> I really didn't intend to start a sh*tstorm with this...

                                  I know. No worries.

                                  >> I wasn't suggesting a "partnership" - just that MARCH might want some free labor to move stuff around.

                                  As Bill said -- and he's still our VP in good standing ;) -- there are big issues of liability, and the job really does require knowledge of the subject matter. So it would not work.

                                  >> I also find your intolerance ... we don't preach discrimination

                                  My intolerance? That's odd, but you're entitled to your opinion. BSA's web site specifically states who is, and isn't allowed. Bill called it "principles" ... Interesting euphemism...

                                  >> and it's never even come up in our troop.  We teach nothing but the positive to our boys - core values of trustworthiness, bravery, kindness, loyalty, etc. are what we're there for.

                                  Glad to hear that. I hope more troops become like yours and force the national body to get a clue. :)

                                  >> I guess Catholics are also not welcome at MARCH?

                                  As I said, my stance applies to groups, not individuals. Either way, I can't fathom how/why we'd ever work with a religious group, unless they had computers to donate...

                                  >> They openly discriminate aginst Gays and Athiests also.

                                  That's true.

                                  PS, my lifelong best friend is an Irish Catholic, and my girlfriend is an Italian raised Catholic.
                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                    Coming to Evan's defense and I can understand his concern. (yes I am defending Evan, call Guinness, call Guinness)

                                    Bill covered this part well, I am just agreeing with it.

                                    I know groups that just don't work with children's groups period. Working with children is to much of a liability.
                                    This is not the children's fault, you can blame a league of lawyers for that. On this alone I think we should work with children only if their parent is involved.
                                    The museum is designed for children to view the exhibits not to move equipment around.
                                    We are working with heavy equipment in an environment that is still a work in progress. I think it best not to do this.

                                    This is for the children's safety and what I think is best for our insurance.
                                    The museum is designed for Children to come enjoy.

                                    As for the BSA. I'm not going to go into the BSA policies. They have them, we know them, nuff said.
                                    I know groups that stopped working with them because it created a "dramatic" work environment.
                                    Lets be honest, I have seen drama sans kids working with some of you ;)
                                    This is not a political issue. This is a striving to have a non dramatic working environment issue.

                                    Also Evan is not denying them access and coming to enjoy the museum.

                                    Again I don't think Evan was being malicious, and I understand his concern.

                                    I speak for myself when I say, thank you for the offer it is appreciated.
                                    Please understand why some of us think this is something we shouldn't do.
                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                      hate to belabor this but....
                                      there's a more important issue, as this can invite possible litigation now or in the future.

                                      You as an officier of the corporation can create some detrimental liability for the MARCH organization -- as this is not simply just some rambling rage from any list member. Officers of any organization are supposed to hold a responsibility to follow the policies at hand. Even though MARCH is a corporate entity, irregardless if it's a non-profit, you don't own the InfoAge facility. MARCH and all the other clubs there, will always fall under the umbrella of Infoage museum when it pertains to any policy involving the public. You simply cannot have a policy which supersedes the Infoage museum based on some personal preferences. So if Infoage wants to invite some organization like the BSA, you simply cannot refuse, because the BSA is still a legal entity  - no matter how much you might be opposed to their policies. In some places, any similar action taken such as this would get MARCH kicked out.
                                      .
                                      Now, it's widely apparent and obvious (if you don't live under a rock) that organizations such as the BSA can only exist with policies which supersede Federal discrimination policies because it is a *private* entity - much like the various stodgy 'n snooty private country clubs - thanks to SCOTUS, which reneged their obligation to uphold discrimination by passing the buck down to the local cities to decide whether or not to enforce anything. Even Churches are exempt from this thanks to them. There is no way in hell that any public organization would exist under the current Federal non-discrimination policies.

                                      So the next time, think twice, and bite your lip

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                        >> So if Infoage wants to invite some organization like the BSA, you simply cannot refuse

                                        This has nothing to do with InfoAge. Legally speaking, MARCH and the other groups are merely tenants there.
                                      • William Donzelli
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                          > You as an officier of the corporation can create some detrimental
                                          > liability for the MARCH organization -- as this is not simply just some
                                          > rambling rage from any list member. Officers of any organization are
                                          > supposed to hold a responsibility to follow the policies at hand. Even
                                          > though MARCH is a corporate entity,

                                          Is MARCH a corporate entity? EIN? I am curious...

                                          --
                                          Will
                                        • William Donzelli
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                            > This has nothing to do with InfoAge. Legally speaking, MARCH and the other
                                            > groups are merely tenants there.

                                            This has everything to do with InfoAge. Realistically speaking, MARCH
                                            and the other groups are intertwined and viewed by the public as
                                            InfoAge.

                                            This has all the workings of a PR disaster, and the shit will not only
                                            be on MARCH's face, but every group associated with InfoAge. Fred Carl
                                            will not be amused. Neither will the other groups.

                                            The only thing to do now is damage control.

                                            --
                                            Will
                                          • Vince Fleming
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                              No damage control required. No offense taken.  If MARCH can't use the help I offered, that's fine, regardless of the reason given, because despite some opinions, we (the local BSA troop I am associated with) are not evil people.

                                              I would suggest not mentioning the reason in the future, though. :)

                                              Vince Fleming

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                > No damage control required. No offense taken. If MARCH can't use the help
                                                > I offered, that's fine, regardless of the reason given, because despite some
                                                > opinions, we (the local BSA troop I am associated with) are not evil people.
                                                >
                                                > I would suggest not mentioning the reason in the future, though. :)

                                                I bet the cat is out of the bag, however.

                                                --
                                                Will
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                  >> Is MARCH a corporate entity?

                                                  Yes, we are Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists Inc., here in New Jersey.

                                                  Justin can supply our EIN, or you can search the NJ state government web site.
                                                • William Donzelli
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                    > Yes, we are Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists Inc., here in New
                                                    > Jersey.
                                                    >
                                                    > Justin can supply our EIN, or you can search the NJ state government web
                                                    > site.

                                                    Very good, thank you.

                                                    --
                                                    Will
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                      >> This has all the workings of a PR disaster, and the shit will not only be on MARCH's face, but every group associated with InfoAge.

                                                      That's ridiculous. But as usual, Will, on every fathomable subject, you are an expert.

                                                      You'd be correct if I wanted our group to work * with * those who discriminate.

                                                      Reality check: even the US military gave us their obsolete point of view. Anyone who can't grok that is on the wrong damn side of history.
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                        >> gave us

                                                        Oops. "Up".

                                                        Anyway ... some people really, really want this thread to stop.

                                                        Back to the subject line ... Yay, storage.