re: [midatlanticretro] another wonderful donation and a mystery solved

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
      awesome. I will update my web site page on the machine. It is still an
      IMP-16 though, which makes sense, these were PDP 8 like IIRC

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013

        > William F. Dudley Jr. donated another wonderful box
        > of homebrew parts to MARCH:
        > a new unused Intersil 6100 eval kit,

        > They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built.
        > That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago,
        > so MARCH now has a homebrew PDP8!
        >
        > Bill Dudley identified the "mystery machine" as his.
        > The flip-chip backplane was a clue
        > that it is DEC compatible!

        Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the IMP-16,
        I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
        I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
        few cards.
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
          > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
          > IMP-16,
          > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
          > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
          > few cards.

          IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
          multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
            > > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
            > > IMP-16,
            > > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin
            chip
            > > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the
            front
            > > few cards.
            >
            > IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
            > multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).
            >
            > --
            > Will

            I have since bought some glasses so I can finally see. The computer is
            definitely a 6100 then. I have updated references on the page I made for
            the system.
            BIll