Re: [midatlanticretro] another wonderful donation and a mystery solved

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
      >> They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built. That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago

      So ... we were wrong about it being Tom Kirk's?
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
        awesome. I will update my web site page on the machine. It is still an
        IMP-16 though, which makes sense, these were PDP 8 like IIRC

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013

          > William F. Dudley Jr. donated another wonderful box
          > of homebrew parts to MARCH:
          > a new unused Intersil 6100 eval kit,

          > They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built.
          > That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago,
          > so MARCH now has a homebrew PDP8!
          >
          > Bill Dudley identified the "mystery machine" as his.
          > The flip-chip backplane was a clue
          > that it is DEC compatible!

          Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the IMP-16,
          I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
          I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
          few cards.
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
            > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
            > IMP-16,
            > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
            > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
            > few cards.

            IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
            multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).

            --
            Will
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
              > > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
              > > IMP-16,
              > > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin
              chip
              > > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the
              front
              > > few cards.
              >
              > IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
              > multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).
              >
              > --
              > Will

              I have since bought some glasses so I can finally see. The computer is
              definitely a 6100 then. I have updated references on the page I made for
              the system.
              BIll