another wonderful donation and a mystery solved

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
      William F. Dudley Jr. donated another wonderful box
      of homebrew parts to MARCH:
      a new unused Intersil 6100 eval kit,
      several PHI-deck digital cassettes
      (2 in the original blue eval cases),
      spare memory cards and schematics.
      The intention was to build a PDP8
      using the 6100 chips and the PHI decks
      emulating DECtapes to run OS8
      and all the PDP8 software.
      Each memory card is 4k of 12 bit DRAM,
      8 max per system.

      They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built.
      That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago,
      so MARCH now has a homebrew PDP8!

      Bill Dudley identified the "mystery machine" as his.
      The flip-chip backplane was a clue
      that it is DEC compatible!

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
        >> They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built. That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago

        So ... we were wrong about it being Tom Kirk's?
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
          awesome. I will update my web site page on the machine. It is still an
          IMP-16 though, which makes sense, these were PDP 8 like IIRC

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013

            > William F. Dudley Jr. donated another wonderful box
            > of homebrew parts to MARCH:
            > a new unused Intersil 6100 eval kit,

            > They're all spare parts for the PDP8 he built.
            > That's the "mystery machine" from a few weeks ago,
            > so MARCH now has a homebrew PDP8!
            >
            > Bill Dudley identified the "mystery machine" as his.
            > The flip-chip backplane was a clue
            > that it is DEC compatible!

            Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the IMP-16,
            I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
            I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
            few cards.
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
              > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
              > IMP-16,
              > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin chip
              > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the front
              > few cards.

              IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
              multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).

              --
              Will
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
                > > Please see if you can find anything like a IM6100 as opposed to the
                > > IMP-16,
                > > I may have mis-read what's printed on the chip. It would be a 40 pin
                chip
                > > I think. The IMP-16 is squarer I believe, not 40 pin. On one of the
                front
                > > few cards.
                >
                > IMP-16 is a 16 bit processor from National Semiconductor. It is a
                > multi chip set (4 ALU slices and 1 control unit, I think).
                >
                > --
                > Will

                I have since bought some glasses so I can finally see. The computer is
                definitely a 6100 then. I have updated references on the page I made for
                the system.
                BIll