Re: Unassembled Altair on eBay

  • Stephen L
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
      Hi Corey,

      > ...Grant Stockly...periodically does new runs. Last I heard a run will be happening soon.

      --- May I ask where you heard that? I would like to get tuned-in to what's happening there. Grant's forums were shutdown due to spam and the replacement doesn't appear to be operating. Didn't find much at vintage-computer.com, though someone did say that he will eventually respond to emails. One poster said yesterday that he was poised to buy three kits from Grant last year but had to back out. So now I'm really curious about what is going on with the project.

      Steve L.
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
        FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

      • Michael Lee
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
          Followup:  Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do not respond there.

          On 4/22/2013 8:37 AM, Michael Lee wrote:

          FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <mikelee@...> wrote:

            > Followup: Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but
            > proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do
            > not respond there.

            I do not like nor believe the 2nd chance offer is a fair option.
            It could be a way to milk your proximity bid to your maximum.

            An example.
            Item opens at $10
            Bidder 1 offers $20, Item at $10
            Bidder 2 offers $40, Item at $20.50 (next increment after Bidder 1)
            Bidder 3 offers $500, Item at $41

            Bidder 3 is a fake account used to defraud Bidder 2.
            Seller then offers 2nd chance to Bidder 2 for $40 (not the $20.50).

            Ebay has their share of scammers and undesirables, beware.

            :)J