Re: Unassembled Altair on eBay

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 15 3:50 PM
      Actually Grant Stockly took apart his rev 0 and had duplicates made. He even had optima make new cases. Grant did change some things to make the build easier, like adding a solder mask, making the silk screen make sense and a switching power supply. They are a pretty amazing reproduction. He periodically does new runs. Last I heard a run will be happening soon. HTTP://www.altairkit.com

      I was waiting for one of his runs, but then Dave Larsen had an original Altair (I think he may have more) for sale. Maybe the wanting to build one is why I did a ground up or should I say wire up restoration on the Altair.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Randall Kindig <randall.kindig@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > If you want build an Altair kit:
      > > http://www.brielcomputers.com/
      > >
      > > Randy
      > >

      > Yep, I'll bet that most people on this list have met Vince Briel. He's a
      > great guy, and makes great products. I own a PockeTerm, and a Replica 1
      > TE, and attended a workshop that he did at last year's KansasFest.
      > However, his Altair kit is, by design, a work-alike, and not a near-100%
      > clone. What I'd like to see is either (in the best case) a re-release of
      > the original kit, with parts updated to what are available in 2013 or a
      > ~100% clone, similar to Mike Willegal's Mimeo-1.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > - Alex

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 16 9:09 AM
        It would be great, if Grant decided to make another batch of Altair kits.

        With the steady escalation of prices of original Altairs, economics might be becoming a little more attractive. I think, in the past, the price of Grant's kit wasn't much different than the cost of getting an original unit. Even at that level, I don't think that there was a lot of profit for Grant, given the tremendous amount of work that went into producing a kit.

        The million dollar question is how much would you really pay for the chance to build a replica Altair? I'm sure if the money is there, someone will eventually do it again, and hopefully it's Grant.

        Regards,
        Mike W.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen L" <steve@...> wrote:

        > > Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this
        > kit,
        > > so that they could actually build one? I am very sorry that I am not
        > old
        > > enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal
        > computing
        > > revolution.
        >
        > --- Well of course, Grant Stockly did exactly that:
        > http://www.altairkit.com/ <http://www.altairkit.com/>
        >
        > To my knowledge though, those are long gone. It would be wonderful to
        > somehow revive that effort.
        >
        > Steve L.

      • Stephen L
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 16 10:23 AM
          Hi Corey,

          > ...Grant Stockly...periodically does new runs. Last I heard a run will be happening soon.

          --- May I ask where you heard that? I would like to get tuned-in to what's happening there. Grant's forums were shutdown due to spam and the replacement doesn't appear to be operating. Didn't find much at vintage-computer.com, though someone did say that he will eventually respond to emails. One poster said yesterday that he was poised to buy three kits from Grant last year but had to back out. So now I'm really curious about what is going on with the project.

          Steve L.
        • Michael Lee
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 22 6:37 AM
            FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 22 6:58 AM
              Followup:  Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do not respond there.

              On 4/22/2013 8:37 AM, Michael Lee wrote:

              FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 22 7:11 AM
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <mikelee@...> wrote:

                > Followup: Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but
                > proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do
                > not respond there.

                I do not like nor believe the 2nd chance offer is a fair option.
                It could be a way to milk your proximity bid to your maximum.

                An example.
                Item opens at $10
                Bidder 1 offers $20, Item at $10
                Bidder 2 offers $40, Item at $20.50 (next increment after Bidder 1)
                Bidder 3 offers $500, Item at $41

                Bidder 3 is a fake account used to defraud Bidder 2.
                Seller then offers 2nd chance to Bidder 2 for $40 (not the $20.50).

                Ebay has their share of scammers and undesirables, beware.

                :)J