Unassembled Altair on eBay

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
        I know. I should sell one of mine. But then I would only have 5 left.

          Maybe I should sell some of my NIB SAGE parts...

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/SAGE/FrameLoopsTest-L.jpg

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

          > I know. I should sell one of mine. But then I would only have 5 left.

        • corey986
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
            I hope your joking about having 5 unassembled Altairs...

            Seriously who ever buys this one on ebay better not build it. It belongs in a museum under glass next to an assembled one showing what people went through back in the day.

            I though about bidding for about 15 seconds and realized the temptation would be too great to build it, and that would be a shame for history...

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
              >> It belongs in a museum under glass next to an assembled one showing what people went through back in the day.

              Agreed.

              >> I though about bidding for about 15 seconds and realized the temptation would be too great to build it

              Not if it you put it in a MARCH museum display case and we don't give you a key. :)
            • J. Alexander Jacocks
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                  >> It belongs in a museum under glass next to an assembled one showing what people went through back in the day.

                Agreed.

                >> I though about bidding for about 15 seconds and realized the temptation would be too great to build it
                Not if it you put it in a MARCH museum display case and we don't give you a key. :)

                Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this kit, so that they could actually build one?  I am very sorry that I am not old enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal computing revolution.

                - Alex
              • DuaneCraps
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                  I’ll bet it goes for 10K+

                  Might be the only one

                  Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 3:12 PM
                  Subject: [midatlanticretro] Unassembled Altair on eBay

                • Randall Kindig
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                    If you want build an Altair kit:
                    http://www.brielcomputers.com/

                    Randy

                    --
                    Randy
                  • J. Alexander Jacocks
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Randall Kindig <randall.kindig@...> wrote:

                      If you want build an Altair kit:
                      http://www.brielcomputers.com/

                      Randy

                      Yep, I'll bet that most people on this list have met Vince Briel.  He's a great guy, and makes great products.  I own a PockeTerm, and a Replica 1 TE, and attended a workshop that he did at last year's KansasFest.  However, his Altair kit is, by design, a work-alike, and not a near-100% clone.  What I'd like to see is either (in the best case) a re-release of the original kit, with parts updated to what are available in 2013 or a ~100% clone, similar to Mike Willegal's Mimeo-1.

                      Thanks!
                      - Alex
                    • Stephen L
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                        > Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this kit,
                        > so that they could actually build one? I am very sorry that I am not old
                        > enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal computing
                        > revolution.

                        --- Well of course, Grant Stockly did exactly that:
                        http://www.altairkit.com/

                        To my knowledge though, those are long gone. It would be wonderful to somehow revive that effort.

                        Steve L.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                          Anyone who takes this would also have to pay to keep it someplace, you don't just put in your kitchen...right? This thing would cost money for years, like a son who never moves out. These kinds of computers will end up in a museum of some sort, no $$ paid. My guess.

                            > Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this kit,
                            > so that they could actually build one? I am very sorry that I am not old
                            > enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal computing
                            > revolution.

                            --- Well of course, Grant Stockly did exactly that:
                            http://www.altairkit.com/

                            To my knowledge though, those are long gone. It would be wonderful to somehow revive that effort.

                            Steve L.

                            Yep, I was aware of these, and that's as far as my knowledge goes, as well.  I had heard that Vince was working on something related to this, but it may not have worked out, since I heard nothing more.

                            - Alex
                          • corey986
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 15, 2013
                              Actually Grant Stockly took apart his rev 0 and had duplicates made. He even had optima make new cases. Grant did change some things to make the build easier, like adding a solder mask, making the silk screen make sense and a switching power supply. They are a pretty amazing reproduction. He periodically does new runs. Last I heard a run will be happening soon. HTTP://www.altairkit.com

                              I was waiting for one of his runs, but then Dave Larsen had an original Altair (I think he may have more) for sale. Maybe the wanting to build one is why I did a ground up or should I say wire up restoration on the Altair.

                              Cheers,
                              Corey

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> wrote:

                              > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Randall Kindig <randall.kindig@...>wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > If you want build an Altair kit:
                              > > http://www.brielcomputers.com/
                              > >
                              > > Randy
                              > >

                              > Yep, I'll bet that most people on this list have met Vince Briel. He's a
                              > great guy, and makes great products. I own a PockeTerm, and a Replica 1
                              > TE, and attended a workshop that he did at last year's KansasFest.
                              > However, his Altair kit is, by design, a work-alike, and not a near-100%
                              > clone. What I'd like to see is either (in the best case) a re-release of
                              > the original kit, with parts updated to what are available in 2013 or a
                              > ~100% clone, similar to Mike Willegal's Mimeo-1.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              > - Alex

                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                It would be great, if Grant decided to make another batch of Altair kits.

                                With the steady escalation of prices of original Altairs, economics might be becoming a little more attractive. I think, in the past, the price of Grant's kit wasn't much different than the cost of getting an original unit. Even at that level, I don't think that there was a lot of profit for Grant, given the tremendous amount of work that went into producing a kit.

                                The million dollar question is how much would you really pay for the chance to build a replica Altair? I'm sure if the money is there, someone will eventually do it again, and hopefully it's Grant.

                                Regards,
                                Mike W.

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen L" <steve@...> wrote:

                                > > Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this
                                > kit,
                                > > so that they could actually build one? I am very sorry that I am not
                                > old
                                > > enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal
                                > computing
                                > > revolution.
                                >
                                > --- Well of course, Grant Stockly did exactly that:
                                > http://www.altairkit.com/ <http://www.altairkit.com/>
                                >
                                > To my knowledge though, those are long gone. It would be wonderful to
                                > somehow revive that effort.
                                >
                                > Steve L.

                              • Stephen L
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 16, 2013
                                  Hi Corey,

                                  > ...Grant Stockly...periodically does new runs. Last I heard a run will be happening soon.

                                  --- May I ask where you heard that? I would like to get tuned-in to what's happening there. Grant's forums were shutdown due to spam and the replacement doesn't appear to be operating. Didn't find much at vintage-computer.com, though someone did say that he will eventually respond to emails. One poster said yesterday that he was poised to buy three kits from Grant last year but had to back out. So now I'm really curious about what is going on with the project.

                                  Steve L.
                                • Michael Lee
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                                    FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

                                  • Michael Lee
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                                      Followup:  Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do not respond there.

                                      On 4/22/2013 8:37 AM, Michael Lee wrote:

                                      FYI, if anyone bid or won this item or the PDP 8/e this seller has listed, most likely the auctions are fraudulent.  I had put a low ball bid for fun, and I received a forged "Second Chance Offer" e-mail for it.  Typical eBay scam.

                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <mikelee@...> wrote:

                                        > Followup: Upon further review, appears the auctions might be real, but
                                        > proceed with caution and of course if you get a second chance offer, do
                                        > not respond there.

                                        I do not like nor believe the 2nd chance offer is a fair option.
                                        It could be a way to milk your proximity bid to your maximum.

                                        An example.
                                        Item opens at $10
                                        Bidder 1 offers $20, Item at $10
                                        Bidder 2 offers $40, Item at $20.50 (next increment after Bidder 1)
                                        Bidder 3 offers $500, Item at $41

                                        Bidder 3 is a fake account used to defraud Bidder 2.
                                        Seller then offers 2nd chance to Bidder 2 for $40 (not the $20.50).

                                        Ebay has their share of scammers and undesirables, beware.

                                        :)J