Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum report / what's this system?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
      >> Wang terminals featured a pair of BNC coax connectors

      Yes, it has those. So you think "smart" terminal vs. WP?
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
        I'd guess it was running WP off one of their servers, but with the option of local document storage. My experience is with their later VS systems and that's how the VS stuff operated.

        On Apr 14, 2013, at 21:00, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        >> Wang terminals featured a pair of BNC coax connectors

        Yes, it has those. So you think "smart" terminal vs. WP?

      • DuaneCraps
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
          Looks like the wang terminals we had at the shipyard in the 80’s the terminals all connected to a server in a remote computer room. in our office only the ones that the sys admin used had the 8” floppys. About the time we got them there was an article in one of the computer magazines that said that with all the systems at Norfolk Naval Shipyard networked together there would be over a GIGABYTE of online storage. Unbelievable!

          Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:44 PM
          Subject: [midatlanticretro] Museum report / what's this system?

          Once again, Jeff B. and I spent many hours working in MARCH's storage warehouse today. We worked from 10:30am to 6:30pm.

          Today we assembled and loaded storage carts devoted to OS/2; AT&T 3B2(s); miscellaneous DEC stuff; and a second cart for terminals.

          Meanwhile, what's this system? http://snarc.net/wang5947.jpg

          We're trying to identify it, so we can put it on the correct storage cart. It's a Wang 5947 but that only tells us so much. I'm unclear if it is a stand-alone computer, a "smart" terminal (because of the 5.25" drive), or a word processor.

          My hunch is it's a word processor because the screen burn-in was all editing and formatting commands.

          Google was not helpful.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
            On 04/14/2013 08:58 PM, David Comley wrote:
            > I'm not familiar with this particular system but if all else fails, have
            > a look at the back. Wang terminals featured a pair of BNC coax
            > connectors for the WLOC connection to a host.

            One BNC, one TNC.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
              Thanks everyone. Next time I'm there (next Sunday), I'll put it on a
              terminal cart.
            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
                I remember the computer connections and the fifty two pair cables that I had to
                trouble shoot in the attic of the Civil War era building that housed NAVELEX.
                bs