Semi-OT: Big news happening @ InfoAge!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2013
      Some of you probably heard this already; most probably haven't: InfoAge
      will be hosting dozens or even hundreds of Hurricane Sandy relief
      volunteers, starting in the next few weeks and possibly lasting for
      multiple years.

      How, you ask? That's the beautiful part: the volunteers are going to fix
      up multiple H-building sections! And when they're all done with their
      work, they'll leave, with InfoAge and the member clubs in possession of
      renovated buildings.

      Here's the skinny. A large Sandy aide group wants to send many
      volunteers to help with shore recovery efforts. The group, being a
      non-profit, doesn't want to pay for hotels. Turns out the group's focus
      is to teach the volunteers how to hang sheetrock (etc.), so the group
      also needs a place to learn that task. And InfoAge has a plenty of
      barren H-building space...

      So, it'll start with a small group of people who will stay in the
      cottage while renovating one or two H-building sections. When the
      section(s) are ready, and the town provides a certificate of occupancy,
      then a larger amount of volunteers will move into the section(s), and
      continue their training in adjacent sections.

      Meanwhile, InfoAge does a valuable community service, and will be
      rewarded 00 this arrangement solves the dilemma of who'll pay to
      renovate (most of) the storage buildings; the aide group saves a ton of
      money; and Wall Township gets great press (and presumably tax breaks,
      etc.) ... as Fred and a township administration described it, the
      arrangement is a win-win-win.

      Of course, the volunteers will need plenty of electrical power -- which
      means the town will have to act fact to supply a new transformer for
      InfoAge. So that is more good news.

      What's it mean to the member clubs? Mostly it means we'll be advised to
      move our storage from its current section into a more remote section.
      That way, our collection will be safe -- far away from all the new
      volunteers (and most likely with temporary, lockable fencing around our
      collection) and away from the construction they'll be doing.

      The timing is good because MARCH is already far along in our efforts to
      put everything we own onto mobile storage units and onto forklift pallets.

      Possibly as soon as tomorrow, Fred and I are going to scope out which
      H-building section will be our new storage home.

      MARCH will be temporarily inconvenienced, because our storage will be a
      longer walk from our museum -- no big deal.

      I'm told that the volunteers will not have cars; they're all bring
      brought it from around the country, so there's no worry about them
      filling our parking lot (which would make it difficult for InfoAge to
      have events) -- chances are any construction vehicles would park inbound
      of the fences, or in the HUGE lot around the corner.

      I'm also told the influx of volunteers may also result in InfoAge
      getting a 24/7 security guard.

      Plenty of details are still up in the air, but InfoAge cleared a major
      hurdle by having the town give its blessing to the plan last week. I'm
      sure Fred will fill us in on many other details as things move along.

      And who knows -- maybe some of the volunteers will take a liking to our
      museum.
    • DougCrawford
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2013
        Well that sounds like a win-win-win-win-win!