Anyone have a spare teletype?

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
      Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype machine to use with his PDP-8. Mike is a member of the New Jersey Antique Radio Club and an InfoAge supporter. He's apparently pretty good with this type of stuff so although working condition would be nice, it's not mandatory.

      Thanks,
      -- Dave Sica
      732-382-0618
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
        On 04/13/2013 11:27 AM, David wrote:
        > Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype machine
        > to use with his PDP-8. Mike is a member of the New Jersey Antique Radio
        > Club and an InfoAge supporter. He's apparently pretty good with this type
        > of stuff so although working condition would be nice, it's not mandatory.

        Holy crap!! I used to work for Mike, along with Prof. Nosenchuck at
        Princeton! They ran the NSC project that I did miles of wire-wrapping and
        debugging on when I was in my late teen years.

        If you have an email address for him, please send it to me privately. I
        would love to be back in touch with him.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
          > Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype machine to use with his PDP-8.

          Please advise him to join this list.
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
            On 04/13/2013 12:27 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >> Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype machine to use with his PDP-8.
            >
            > Please advise him to join this list.

            That would be really, really weird. Awesome though. :-)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013

              > > Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype machine to use with his PDP-8.
              >
              > Please advise him to join this list.

              Ummm, yeah, joining MARCH and joining the list would have been the first thing I suggested, several times over the past few years. You can lead a rocket scientist to water...
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
                On 04/14/2013 01:04 PM, David wrote:
                >>> Prof. Mike Littman of Princeton University is looking for teletype
                >>> machine to use with his PDP-8.
                >>
                >> Please advise him to join this list.
                >>
                > Ummm, yeah, joining MARCH and joining the list would have been the first
                > thing I suggested, several times over the past few years. You can lead a
                > rocket scientist to water...

                Professor Littman is a brilliant and very, very nice guy. I knew he used
                PDP-11s a lot when I worked for him, but this was Princeton in the
                1980s...EVERYONE used PDP-11s for EVERYTHING. I had no idea that he was
                *personally* interested to the point of having a PDP-anything of his own,
                much less a PDP-8...PDP-11s were just The Computers That We All Used in those
                days, and Princeton University was absolutely CRAWLING with them.

                Our lab had a PDP-11/23+ with a few terminals, running RSX. We got one of
                the first VAX 8200s when they started shipping; it got set up in our lab's
                little private computer room across from the 11/23+.

                Here is a publicity picture from the NSC project that I worked on. This
                was taken in, I think, 1986:

                http://www.neurotica.com/misc/NSC-sm.jpg

                I'm the long-haired kid in the Adidas T-shirt in the left rear. Professor
                Littman is the man standing up on the far right. Professor Nosenchuck is the
                man standing on the left. All that hardware looks like Unibus PDP-11 stuff,
                but it is not...DEC sold 11/24-style chassis and unwired backplanes for OEM
                use, and we built the NSC into those chasiss, using Unibus form factor. The
                only "standard" processor in the NSC was an 80286 on the node manager board.
                The board I was responsible for, the "switch", is the rightmost board
                visible. (not the frontmost)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Stephen L
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
                  > Here is a publicity picture from the NSC project that I worked on. This was taken in, I think, 1986:

                  --- Thanks for the cool pic, Dave. My word--there were girls!! So what was the NSC project?

                  Steve L.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
                    On 04/15/2013 10:52 AM, Stephen L wrote:
                    >> Here is a publicity picture from the NSC project that I worked on. This was taken in, I think, 1986:
                    >
                    > --- Thanks for the cool pic, Dave. My word--there were girls!! So what was the NSC project?

                    Yes there were. They're not all that uncommon in the academic research
                    environment. Some of them are even cute, like Lauren in the middle. :)

                    NSC is the Navier-Stokes Supercomputer, a rather ingenious vector
                    supercomputer that was specifically designed to crunch the Navier-Stokes
                    equations, which are more-or-less the cornerstone of fluid dynamics. It was
                    designed for NASA via a grant, at the Moody Fluid Dynamics Laboratory at
                    Princeton University. The project was started in (if I recall correctly) 1985.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ