Re: Got Woz to sign my Apple1 Board

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12 3:57 AM
      Congrats.

      Looks like you did it right and used a paint pen not a sharpie. Hopefully it's a non alcohol based paint (like a testors pen) so that you can eventually build the board. Sharpie will come off when you clean the board of flux unless you are very careful and protect the area. Or you have to leave your board covered in flux splatter from the soldering.

      Personally I would hold onto the board unbuilt and put it in a shadow box. Mike has a new batch of Mimeos so you can always get another one before he runs out.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      > So my VoIP people at work forwarded me an invite to an Avaya event that had Steve Wozniak as the speaker.
      > I registered, got my board and went to the event.
      >
      > He completed his speech and came out and I showed him my board and he signed it
      >
      > http://8bitaficionado.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_20130409_171020.jpg
      >

      > I also showed him where Daniel Kottke signed it.
      >
      > He was in a rush and couldn't stay but I got both Daniel Kottke's and Steve Wozniak's signature on the board.
      >
      > Now to decide if I want to build this machine or get a new board and build that one

    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12 6:46 AM
        > Sharpie will come off when you clean the board of flux unless you are very careful and protect the area. Or you have to leave your board covered in flux splatter from the soldering.

        For boards I intend to clean, I use Kester organic core lead solder. Rather than the usual rosin, the flux core is some organic acid, which is water soluble. Usually it only requires running water over the board, toothbrushing at most.

        Don't use it on anything you don't plan on washing, though. It'll corrode traces over time and the residue is apparently capacitive. It'll make CMOS logic and OP-AMPs oscillate.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan