RE: [midatlanticretro] Hard drive "cloning" options

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11 6:16 PM
      Yep...definitely is and XT-class IDE drive ("XTA"?), and I think you are
      right...the controller cannot be disabled. As for what will work, from what
      I've read, any XT IDE drive should be fine. Of course we know all about the
      word "should". :-)

      I've got an XT IDE controller (for those not familiar with it all...this is
      confusing, eh? This one allows the use of AT class IDE drives in an
      XT-class PC) running in my 1000SL. It works fine with 640k of RAM (max on
      the SL). It was acting odd when I first put it in, but I was able to work
      around it. However, at the time I had installed a VGA card...when I pulled
      it out and used a CGA monitor, it works perfectly! Quirky little machines
      for sure!

      As for copying data...I would go with what others have suggested - interlink
      is great, especially if you have a parallel laplink cable. To make another
      drive bootable, you'll have to "format /s" or "sys a:" a floppy disk, then
      do the same in reverse to the new drive, then copy all the files back. I
      don't know of any way to copy system files and make a disk bootable other
      than with format or sys. I guess the other option is a stack of floppy
      disks and a lot of patience... :-)

      Wesley