Re: [midatlanticretro] Hard drive "cloning" options

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
      > Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a laplink cable and trasfer the files
      > that way? It would likely be one or two switched lines and that's all
      > you'd need 25-pins on both ends. I have the laplink software for download
      > on my site.

      That or interlink/interserver from DOS will work fine if you have an old machine to go between. I use the Ethernet approach if I'm going to my modern Linux desktop or laptop. It's not particularly complex, especially with the parallel port adapter, if you've got everything on a boot floppy anyway.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
        Yep...definitely is and XT-class IDE drive ("XTA"?), and I think you are
        right...the controller cannot be disabled. As for what will work, from what
        I've read, any XT IDE drive should be fine. Of course we know all about the
        word "should". :-)

        I've got an XT IDE controller (for those not familiar with it all...this is
        confusing, eh? This one allows the use of AT class IDE drives in an
        XT-class PC) running in my 1000SL. It works fine with 640k of RAM (max on
        the SL). It was acting odd when I first put it in, but I was able to work
        around it. However, at the time I had installed a VGA card...when I pulled
        it out and used a CGA monitor, it works perfectly! Quirky little machines
        for sure!

        As for copying data...I would go with what others have suggested - interlink
        is great, especially if you have a parallel laplink cable. To make another
        drive bootable, you'll have to "format /s" or "sys a:" a floppy disk, then
        do the same in reverse to the new drive, then copy all the files back. I
        don't know of any way to copy system files and make a disk bootable other
        than with format or sys. I guess the other option is a stack of floppy
        disks and a lot of patience... :-)

        Wesley