Re: [midatlanticretro] Hard drive "cloning" options

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
      I've used Mike Brutman's FTP client/server to back up old machines with the help of a parallel port attached Ethernet card or an ISA card if there are slots available. If you run the server on the vintage machine, you can just navigate to it with a modern web browser and grab the files.

      If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I use all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:

      http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/

      Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of XT-IDE boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one yourself, I do offer them assembled + tested.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:22:14 -0400
      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Laplink.

    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
        Glitch Wrote:

        > If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I use
        > all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:
        >
        > http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/
        >
        > Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of XT-IDE
        > boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one yourself,
        > I do offer them assembled + tested.

        The RL is a strange beastie. It does have 1 8 bit slot, it also has a built in XT mode IDE controller that I think can't be disabled. This interface only works with one drive. The ST-351-A/X in XT mode.

        If you want to use the XT-IDE you may have to upgrade the memory to 768K. If not, the XT-IDE conflicts with the way the RL (and most 1000 series) handles CGA. The CGA memory is part of DOS memory. It does not have dedicated video RAM.

        I don't know if the newer XT-IDE boards or BIOS get around this, but that is what I had to do to make the XT-IDE work in mine.

        The memory upgrade is inexpensive and easy. 4 256kx4 DRAMS from Jameco or your junk pile.

        Kelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
          Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a laplink cable and trasfer the files
          that way? It would likely be one or two switched lines and that's all
          you'd need 25-pins on both ends. I have the laplink software for download
          on my site.
          bd

          > > If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I
          use
          > > all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:
          > >
          > > http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/
          > >
          > > Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of
          XT-IDE
          > > boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one
          yourself,
          > > I do offer them assembled + tested.
          >
          > The RL is a strange beastie. It does have 1 8 bit slot, it also has a
          built in XT mode IDE controller that I think can't be disabled. This
          interface only works with one drive. The ST-351-A/X in XT mode.

          > If you want to use the XT-IDE you may have to upgrade the memory to 768K.
          If not, the XT-IDE conflicts with the way the RL (and most 1000 series)
          handles CGA. The CGA memory is part of DOS memory. It does not have
          dedicated video RAM.

          > I don't know if the newer XT-IDE boards or BIOS get around this, but that
          is what I had to do to make the XT-IDE work in mine.

          > The memory upgrade is inexpensive and easy. 4 256kx4 DRAMS from Jameco or
          your junk pile.

          > Kelly

        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
            > Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a laplink cable and trasfer the files
            > that way? It would likely be one or two switched lines and that's all
            > you'd need 25-pins on both ends. I have the laplink software for download
            > on my site.

            That or interlink/interserver from DOS will work fine if you have an old machine to go between. I use the Ethernet approach if I'm going to my modern Linux desktop or laptop. It's not particularly complex, especially with the parallel port adapter, if you've got everything on a boot floppy anyway.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
              Yep...definitely is and XT-class IDE drive ("XTA"?), and I think you are
              right...the controller cannot be disabled. As for what will work, from what
              I've read, any XT IDE drive should be fine. Of course we know all about the
              word "should". :-)

              I've got an XT IDE controller (for those not familiar with it all...this is
              confusing, eh? This one allows the use of AT class IDE drives in an
              XT-class PC) running in my 1000SL. It works fine with 640k of RAM (max on
              the SL). It was acting odd when I first put it in, but I was able to work
              around it. However, at the time I had installed a VGA card...when I pulled
              it out and used a CGA monitor, it works perfectly! Quirky little machines
              for sure!

              As for copying data...I would go with what others have suggested - interlink
              is great, especially if you have a parallel laplink cable. To make another
              drive bootable, you'll have to "format /s" or "sys a:" a floppy disk, then
              do the same in reverse to the new drive, then copy all the files back. I
              don't know of any way to copy system files and make a disk bootable other
              than with format or sys. I guess the other option is a stack of floppy
              disks and a lot of patience... :-)

              Wesley