Hard drive "cloning" options

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
      Hi all,

      I just recently acquired a Tandy 1000RL, it's a neat little box with an 8086 processor, IDE hard drive, built in sound, CGA graphics and PS/2 ports.

      Although it works good I want to copy the contents of the hard drive to something more reliable. I have a 128mb DOM that I would like to use.

      Is there a windows utility that will let me copy all the contents from one drive to another, or Could I even do just normal drag and drop copying in Win2K?

      I was not sure if windows would copy all of the system and hidden files if I did it that way.

      Thanks,

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
        On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Matt Patoray wrote:

        > I just recently acquired a Tandy 1000RL, it's a neat little box with an 8086 processor, IDE hard drive, built in sound, CGA graphics and PS/2 ports.
        >
        > Although it works good I want to copy the contents of the hard drive to something more reliable. I have a 128mb DOM that I would like to use.
        >
        > Is there a windows utility that will let me copy all the contents from one drive to another, or Could I even do just normal drag and drop copying in Win2K?
        >
        > I was not sure if windows would copy all of the system and hidden files if I did it that way.

        This may not be too helpful, but I would do such things in a Unix
        (Linux) environment. The standard 'dd' utility will get everything on the
        drive.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
          > I just recently acquired a Tandy 1000RL, it's a neat little box with an 8086 > processor, IDE hard drive, built in sound, CGA graphics and PS/2 ports.

          Isn't the RLX the one with the 8 bit IDE drive? If so, it is going to be hard to read in anything else, and even harder to replace.

          Your 128MB DOM probably doesn't support XT IDE.

          Use a parallel Zip Drive or INTERLNK or something similar.

          http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/19778.htm

          Kelly
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
            Laplink.

            > I just recently acquired a Tandy 1000RL, it's a neat little box with an
            8086 processor, IDE hard drive, built in sound, CGA graphics and PS/2
            ports.

            > Although it works good I want to copy the contents of the hard drive to
            something more reliable. I have a 128mb DOM that I would like to use.

            > Is there a windows utility that will let me copy all the contents from
            one drive to another, or Could I even do just normal drag and drop
            copying in Win2K?

            > I was not sure if windows would copy all of the system and hidden files
            if I did it that way.

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Matt
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
              I've used Mike Brutman's FTP client/server to back up old machines with the help of a parallel port attached Ethernet card or an ISA card if there are slots available. If you run the server on the vintage machine, you can just navigate to it with a modern web browser and grab the files.

              If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I use all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:

              http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/

              Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of XT-IDE boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one yourself, I do offer them assembled + tested.

              Thanks,
              Jonathan

              On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:22:14 -0400
              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > Laplink.

            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                Glitch Wrote:

                > If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I use
                > all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:
                >
                > http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/
                >
                > Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of XT-IDE
                > boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one yourself,
                > I do offer them assembled + tested.

                The RL is a strange beastie. It does have 1 8 bit slot, it also has a built in XT mode IDE controller that I think can't be disabled. This interface only works with one drive. The ST-351-A/X in XT mode.

                If you want to use the XT-IDE you may have to upgrade the memory to 768K. If not, the XT-IDE conflicts with the way the RL (and most 1000 series) handles CGA. The CGA memory is part of DOS memory. It does not have dedicated video RAM.

                I don't know if the newer XT-IDE boards or BIOS get around this, but that is what I had to do to make the XT-IDE work in mine.

                The memory upgrade is inexpensive and easy. 4 256kx4 DRAMS from Jameco or your junk pile.

                Kelly
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                  Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a laplink cable and trasfer the files
                  that way? It would likely be one or two switched lines and that's all
                  you'd need 25-pins on both ends. I have the laplink software for download
                  on my site.
                  bd

                  > > If the 1000RL has an IDE slot, you can plug an XT-IDE board into it. I
                  use
                  > > all of my XT-IDE controllers with DOMs:
                  > >
                  > > http://glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/XTIDE/
                  > >
                  > > Andrew Lynch should have some leftovers from the most recent run of
                  XT-IDE
                  > > boards if you'd like to build one. If you don't want to build one
                  yourself,
                  > > I do offer them assembled + tested.
                  >
                  > The RL is a strange beastie. It does have 1 8 bit slot, it also has a
                  built in XT mode IDE controller that I think can't be disabled. This
                  interface only works with one drive. The ST-351-A/X in XT mode.

                  > If you want to use the XT-IDE you may have to upgrade the memory to 768K.
                  If not, the XT-IDE conflicts with the way the RL (and most 1000 series)
                  handles CGA. The CGA memory is part of DOS memory. It does not have
                  dedicated video RAM.

                  > I don't know if the newer XT-IDE boards or BIOS get around this, but that
                  is what I had to do to make the XT-IDE work in mine.

                  > The memory upgrade is inexpensive and easy. 4 256kx4 DRAMS from Jameco or
                  your junk pile.

                  > Kelly

                • Systems Glitch
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                    > Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a laplink cable and trasfer the files
                    > that way? It would likely be one or two switched lines and that's all
                    > you'd need 25-pins on both ends. I have the laplink software for download
                    > on my site.

                    That or interlink/interserver from DOS will work fine if you have an old machine to go between. I use the Ethernet approach if I'm going to my modern Linux desktop or laptop. It's not particularly complex, especially with the parallel port adapter, if you've got everything on a boot floppy anyway.

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan
                  • Wesley Furr
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
                      Yep...definitely is and XT-class IDE drive ("XTA"?), and I think you are
                      right...the controller cannot be disabled. As for what will work, from what
                      I've read, any XT IDE drive should be fine. Of course we know all about the
                      word "should". :-)

                      I've got an XT IDE controller (for those not familiar with it all...this is
                      confusing, eh? This one allows the use of AT class IDE drives in an
                      XT-class PC) running in my 1000SL. It works fine with 640k of RAM (max on
                      the SL). It was acting odd when I first put it in, but I was able to work
                      around it. However, at the time I had installed a VGA card...when I pulled
                      it out and used a CGA monitor, it works perfectly! Quirky little machines
                      for sure!

                      As for copying data...I would go with what others have suggested - interlink
                      is great, especially if you have a parallel laplink cable. To make another
                      drive bootable, you'll have to "format /s" or "sys a:" a floppy disk, then
                      do the same in reverse to the new drive, then copy all the files back. I
                      don't know of any way to copy system files and make a disk bootable other
                      than with format or sys. I guess the other option is a stack of floppy
                      disks and a lot of patience... :-)

                      Wesley