Magazine rescue needed in Philly

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10 11:48 AM
      Can someone rescue a bunch of magazines for us in Center City,
      Philadelphia? This needs to be done quickly, within a week or so.

      I don't know exactly how much there is; I estimate it's probably enough
      to fill a large car or small SUV.

      The magazines are all Mac-related. MARCH only wants some of them, and
      the person donating them has them all boxed by title. Whatever we don't
      want (I can send a list) is up for grabs -- but we can't store it all at
      the museum.

      Please respond to me privately / off-list.

      - Evan
    • m
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22 11:21 PM
        > Can someone rescue a bunch of magazines for us in Center City,
        > Philadelphia? This needs to be done quickly, within a week or so.
        > I don't know exactly how much there is; I estimate it's probably enough to fill a large car or small SUV.
        > The magazines are all Mac-related. MARCH only wants some of them, and the person donating them has them all boxed by title. Whatever we don't want (I can send a list) is up for grabs -- but we can't store it all at the museum.

        I just saw the update on this, and had to backtrack to find this original posting. So.. I'm wondering what's left.. and I'm also curious about MARCH's printed media collection.

        What sort of space is allotted for magazines (and books)? Is it possible to expand this? While I understand the retro vs. vintage vs. modern, etc. . but things are constantly a moving target.. and in 10 or 20 years things will be different. It would be great if there could be a publicly accessible complete collection.

        I have a 'computer magazine archive' that I've had a small bit of.. interesting response in regards to. I'm trying to whittle down the collection a significant amount -- heck, I want to whittle down my possessions in general, and I figured I would eventually donate a good portion of it to MARCH. In particular a number of the magazines were from an early collection of Mac Magazines from a gentleman in Philly that I feel I would be remiss if I didn't find them a good home.

        thanks

        --
        MS
      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23 9:35 AM
          Just got back on after a hiatus.  I could pick up anything in center city area.  I live near
          by and could arrange my path from work accordingly.
          bs

          > Can someone rescue a bunch of magazines for us in Center City,
          > Philadelphia? This needs to be done quickly, within a week or so.
          > I don't know exactly how much there is; I estimate it's probably enough to fill a large car or small SUV.
          > The magazines are all Mac-related. MARCH only wants some of them, and the person donating them has them all boxed by title. Whatever we don't want (I can send a list) is up for grabs -- but we can't store it all at the museum.

          I just saw the update on this, and had to backtrack to find this original posting. So.. I'm wondering what's left.. and I'm also curious about MARCH's printed media collection.

          What sort of space is allotted for magazines (and books)? Is it possible to expand this? While I understand the retro vs. vintage vs. modern, etc. . but things are constantly a moving target.. and in 10 or 20 years things will be different. It would be great if there could be a publicly accessible complete collection.

          I have a 'computer magazine archive' that I've had a small bit of.. interesting response in regards to. I'm trying to whittle down the collection a significant amount -- heck, I want to whittle down my possessions in general, and I figured I would eventually donate a good portion of it to MARCH. In particular a number of the magazines were from an early collection of Mac Magazines from a gentleman in Philly that I feel I would be remiss if I didn't find them a good home.

          thanks

          --
          MS

        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23 9:45 AM
            On Apr 23, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

            > Just got back on after a hiatus. I could pick up anything in center city area. I live near
            > by and could arrange my path from work accordingly.
            > bs

            I took care of it last week; it was quite a haul, but doable in two carloads. If you're interested in going to the May event, we could probably split the load up, since I was only planning on making one trip (most of the Macworlds I got, about 8 document boxes, are WAY too new, but I was going to bring the books up because there's a lot of good stuff there).

            There were some media-related (Photoshop, 3D stuff) magazines left, but nothing I'd call "vintage"; predominantly 2000s onward. If you're interested, I could put you in touch with the guy managing the estate, but I suspect what remains has probably been "processed" already.

            - Dave