Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7 4:38 PM
      Yep I had a terminal Pop the serial driver chips, but the terminal was apparently "hacked". When I found a "switch" inside that I flipped, it stopped killing drivers.

      So in my case you could say the 1488/1489 drivers were not victims of normal circumstances, but of a short or mis-wiring.

      In the end no biggie. I have a bunch of NOS drivers for my 3P+S, it's just my sio-A MITS serial card I'm won't risk on an unknown terminal.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
      > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
      > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
      > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
      > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
      > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
      > throw that one out there to see what others think.

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 6:12 PM
        The PC Museum here in Ontario has an IMSAI 8080 that I plan to get operational next weekend. It doesn't have the original 8080 board and without it the front panel can't work, so I've built a replacement 8080A cpu card and loaded it with RAM, I/O, and a Disk Emulator.

        Does anyone have any CP/M software I can run on it for a decent demo? Wumpus perhaps?

        Thanks,
        Josh